antares ortho question

I just bought a 6mm ortho from astro buy & sell for £20 and expected something like this, in sort of okay condition:

image.jpg

But it's just arrived, and its in absolutely pristine condition, and looks more like this:

image.jpg

I couldn't find a single other picture of this eyepiece anywhere on the web. Does anyone know the difference, if there is one, between the two? They seem to look identical apart from the markings.

For the condition it's in, and for what it is, I think it was a steal!

Andrew

Hi Andrew. I've got the 6mm & 9mm version. Both are like your 'pieces. I got mine last year. The look reminds me of University Optics orthos, from across the pond.They are great higher power eyepieces. I like 'em a lot.

Enjoy.

Andy.

Only joking mate. One of the reasons that orthos give good, contrasty planetary views is that they only have 4 glass elements (against 5-8 elements of other designs) that the light has to travel through, if you put one in a Barlow you're putting more glass elements back in the optical train.

You'll have to look up heathen yourself..... :lol:

I have the 6mm Antares Ortho, but the ridiculous size of the peep hole just annoyed me. So I had one of my "Who cares, it's only money" moments, took a deep breath, turned my computer on, like a madman I calmly searched for "6mm Televue Radian Eyepeice" found the cheapest site, closed my eyes and clicked the order button. :lol::D :D

The moments after that were just a blur to me, maybe I ran outside and screamed "God have mercy on my soul" or something...

Anyways, never looked back since the day it arrived. Ok the darn thing is half the cost of my scope but BOY oh BOY the views are great and so comfortable to use.

Matt

lovely post Matt :lol:

So why is it not in your equipment list?!? :D

I know what you mean about the keyhole. I am often put off when I see a pic of these things - "HOW can that be COMfortable?!?" - but actually I didn't notice that at all when using it. Found it very comfortable indeed.

Andrew

lovely post Matt :D

So why is it not in your equipment list?!? :D

I don't really want to list all my EP's in my sig :? But I see why some ppl might wann brag and advertise the fact that they got a Radian :lol: It's not on my website equipment page either (yet) but I hopt to add it along with my Canon EOS.

I might take some snaps and upload it to the site tonight.

Matt

Archived