SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M51 first attempt at a galaxy.....

stan26

Hi folks, this is my 2nd DSO attempt and first galaxy the M51. Although I know it's not the greatest picture I'am really chuffed that I managed to capture somthing like this :D Its still early days for me with astronomy, photography and photo editing in particular......

This was using my usual Un-guided EQ3-2, with startravel 102, and canon 500D prime focus as per my sig.

148 x 30sec subs @ ISO800 & 1600. No darks, No flats, Just 50 x Bias frames using kappa sigma mode in DSS, as per suggest by a member on here.

Histogram stretching done in photoshop CS2 + other editing to get rid of the awful CA. Bit of a widefield M51 I know but I prefer the final result with a wide crop.....

Any CC welcome, I need to learn...

Regards, Stan:)

post-23582-133877597706_thumb.jpg

That's a VERY impressive result Stan! Loads of detail in there, I'd certainly be pleased with that one, so don't be too hard on it :D Good work on removing the CA too. I used to use a Celestron C102 wideview, and that gave me awful blue/purple stars.

Great effort, I'm impressed!

Cheers guys. One day il have me an heq5 topped with some APO glass, but for now il have to make do with the EQ3 and 102. chromatic abberation is a pain in the butt though and although I can get rid of the purple halos around the stars it can't be doing wonders for the overall quality of the image, and I'm having to bin a huge amount of my subs due to tracking error etc.

Thanks

Stan

Archived