sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Hi all,

Prompted by the televue sale I recently bought a nagler and radian. I'm very impressed and my other eps hardly get used now. I am on the verge of buying a couple more but am conscious that I could get a 250px dob for the same price. I could also still fit a 250 across my back seat to take to star parties etc.

I don't want to sell my 200p, as I like being able to track on an EQ mount when viewing the moon and planets. Would a 250 dob be a worthwhile upgrade? Anybody had the 200 and 250 side by side? can you see more DSO structure, pick out more objects or it is pretty much the same but the stuff you do see a bit brighter? If there is very little in it I will carry on with the eps. If I will almost certainly track down a few more DSO's then I think the dob. Any ideas? Thanks.

Edited by bish

I found 8 to 10 inches worthwhile on SCTs but not life changing. I'd probably incline towards a step up to 12 inches. For our 20 inch I have a 10 Radian, 19 Panoptic and 26 Nagler.

If I had a 13 Nagler (or Ethos) and the 26 Nagler that would be all I would ever use. WIth enough light you don't need dozens of EPs, so that might influence me in your situation.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

Hi

If your thinking of the 10" Dob as a second scope I would recommend one wholeheartedly.

They make great grab n go scopes. For visual deep sky observing the portability of the Dob mount makes it a winner.

When deep sky observing visually, most objects benefit from larger aperture but all benefit from dark skies. A Dob's portability is very helpful in getting you there.

Plus a Dob is just handy if you can't be bothered to faff about with an equatorial for a quick hours observing.

Remember, extra aperture will show more detail than any eyepiece.

Regards Steve

How easy are the dob mounts to take on and off a 10 or 12 inch? I ask because, if I was to ever get one for grab-and-go, I'd get a set of tube rings so I could mount it on my EQ6 occasionally. Is that possible without doing anything permanent?

How easy are the dob mounts to take on and off a 10 or 12 inch? I ask because, if I was to ever get one for grab-and-go, I'd get a set of tube rings so I could mount it on my EQ6 occasionally. Is that possible without doing anything permanent?

Well, I guess you just lift the Dob tube off the azimuth box. On my big one it just sits there under gravity. Then you pop on the tube rings already on their dovetail and lift it onto the EQ. I wouldn't put a 12 inch on an EQ6 myself though.

Olly

The other thing with a dob is as mentioned above with the quick set up and ease of use. The 12" is over the funds available and I'm not sure if it would go on the back seat of my ford focus, but it would be great to have one.

Well, I guess you just lift the Dob tube off the azimuth box. On my big one it just sits there under gravity. Then you pop on the tube rings already on their dovetail and lift it onto the EQ. I wouldn't put a 12 inch on an EQ6 myself though.

Olly

I guess you're right. I was just lured by the photos of someone's "Big White Monster" on an EQ6 (I forget the poster - the chap in Brisbane). :D

Any ideas on where to get tube rings to fit a 10 inch dob? Tried the skywatcher ones on my revelation dob and they don't fit? Anyone else tried this out, mounting a dob on an eq5 or 6?

Have you got the dob yet Bish? What did you think? Big aren't they. Bet your glad you didn't go with the 12" :D

It's due to arrive Monday. Lucky as they were out due to high demand and it was going to be 3 weeks. FLO called later in the day to say they had found one (ordered less than a week ago). can't wait to get it. I was very tempted by the 12" but I need to carry it in and out of the house but more importantly I want to take it to my parent's place (dark site). The 10" should fit across my back seat but don't think the 12" would. can't afford a 12" flextube. I will let you know how I get on.

The 250px was delivered yesterday as promised by FLO. Of course it was cloudy and looks cloudy today. The set up was very easy. I did tighten the bottom bolt a bit too much to start restricting the base turning, but soon found the right adjustment. It's a good size but comfortable enough for me move around and I should be able to get it in the car with my camping gear for Kielder. Itching to get it under the stars. I want to keep my EQ mounted 200p for tracking planets etc, but the dob is much less hassle to set up.

Cheers Steve,

I did get some clear sky last night so got to use it. It was nice just having 2 parts to carry out. Took a bit of getting used to after only ever owning EQs but I think you are right that it is going to get loads of use. I didn't expect to be using the dob at high magnifications but had no trouble tracking saturn and the moon at x440.

I only had an hour but had a quick look at the moon (archimedes and apennine mountains amazing), saturn, M81 and M82, M53 and M64. With averted vision M53 jumped out as a ball of sparkling stars rather than just slightly granular as it's always looked before. I also noticed more of the subtle colours and shading on Saturn. The seeing was good so the cassini division stood out very clearly.

Can't wait to get it to a dark site. Also saving for a 14" flextube - but that's way off yet!