Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Different forms of life on other planets

I know with all the discoveries of new planets there has been a lot of excitement with finding planets that are similar to earth which may be able to support life.

But that is just life as we know it. Are there any other leading theories on what other sorts of planets may support "different" life? I know I was reading some stuff about silicone based life instead of carbon.

I know its all theoretical but fun to think about :D

I know with all the discoveries of new planets there has been a lot of excitement with finding planets that are similar to earth which may be able to support life.

But that is just life as we know it. Are there any other leading theories on what other sorts of planets may support "different" life? I know I was reading some stuff about silicone based life instead of carbon.

I know its all theoretical but fun to think about :D

There was a lot of excitement about the discovery or arsenic based life here on Earth last year, but I think the work has been pretty much debunked.

.......... I was reading some stuff about silicone based life instead of carbon.

I think there are quite a few "models" and "celebrities" who live lives based on silicone :D

To be serious, studies of extremophiles on earth have shown that life can adapt and evolve to live in the most bizarre places. I suspect life in the universe based on carbon, silicon or indeed some other unimagined chemistry may well evolve to be radically different from life on earth.

It has often been stated that it is likely that intelligent life would logically follow a similar morphology to us, two eyes, two legs, two arms, opposing thumbs and head at the top but this is a very human centric view and it may be that intelligence evolving elsewhere with different environmental pressures and needs might evolve to be very different.

Archived