Narrowband

Autoguiding

So... I decided I really need longer subs so I have a ST80 and a QHY5 on the way to me. I'm planning on using PHD

Anyone have any tips and tricks that might come in handy or is it simply a case of plug in, click, and off we go?

Any advice greatly appreciated, can't wait to do this! :D

I use a QHY5 and a 9x50 guidescope. Loading the drivers for the camera was fine, PHD found it straight away, so it was then just a play around to find the best settings in PHD for it. I am really pleased with mu combo for a guiding setup. I am sure it will work really well for you.

Look forward to seeing the pics!!

Cheers!

I keep reading stuff about it being a "dark art" and all that, but in my head I'm thinking, it can't be that hard can it? I guess I'll find out in a few days!

Did you find that PHD needed much tweaking?

Cheers!

I keep reading stuff about it being a "dark art" and all that, but in my head I'm thinking, it can't be that hard can it? I guess I'll find out in a few days!

Did you find that PHD needed much tweaking?

It can be just a trifle tricky...

Short focal length, fast f ratio, do yourself a favour!

Olly

Set it all up and test it in the daylight please! Its a right royal pain if you've set everything up and find the drivers an old version or you can't focus as your missing an extension..and put a pillow on the wall so you dont hurt your head when your banging it.

Alignment, blumming flexure....a damn Dec that wobbles and needed stripping and adjusting...forgetting to tighten the telescope down one night..bah don't talk to be about guiding.

Ooh and the mysteries of chasing seeing...I could really see the difference in the guiding graphs the other night, just after astro twighlight the star was jumping all over the place but at three in the morning when everything had cooled and the atmosphere was steady it was wonderful.

You'll enjoy your first guided image though!

Archived