1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

150P - EQ or Dobsonian?

I can take the head ache no more, so would be grateful for any help you can give to a newbie on the eternal question of what telescope! After much research, attending an open event and threads on here, I have arrived at the thought of a SkyWatcher 150P in the region of £250. Initially I thought a Dobsonian was the way to go based on some recommends in here, but I am fairly certain that I will want to take photos so perhaps ought to be on an EQ. I have seen some articles which say photography can be done on a Dobsonian, albeit with some difficulty, alternatively the standard mount with the Explorer is not best for AP.

Will I notice the difference in focal length, between the EQ and the Dobsonian? Most things I've read suggest that the higher f of the Skyliner will improve my viewing experience. Oh dear head ache returning! Mike

I think with a tracking dob or the scope above (which I assume will be on an EQ3ish mount) providing it is motorised you would be limited to subs of around 30s in either case.

Given that, I would be tempted to go for a Dob first to see how you get on. You will get more aperture for your money.

Whilst you can dabble with astrophotography and get some reasonable shots with either setup if you are wanting to seriously get into astrophotography you need to consider your budget carefully. As a minimum you would want to look at getting an EQ5 mount.

You can take pictures through a Dobsonian, but you will be restricted to the Moon, simply because it is bright enough to keep the exposure very short, which reduces the risk of blurring due to earths rotation. You may even get an image of the bright planets, Jupiter, Venus, and perhaps Saturn. If you take enough exposures, they could be stacked too.

Deep Sky is not really available via an undriven Dob. though.

You will get superb visuals though, the 8" gives you twice the optical area of a 6". I would go for the Dob, and leave your imaging ambitions until you are in a position to purchase the equipment necessary to make it worth your while. It can be an expensive journey, though.

Good Luck.

Ron.

Edited by barkis

I cant speak for dobsonians as i have never owned one, but they are supposed to be the biggest bang for the buck viewing wise, since almost all the money you pay goes into the mirrors and not into the mount. The skywatcher with the eq mount will get you better prepared for imaging, since you will already be familiar with an eq mount by the time you upgrade etc, and you could easily use a webcam to capture the moon and planets with the 150p and the mount it comes with. you will, or can, learn polar alignment with the eq also, and with a cheap, ~20 quid ,motor drive, you can hone your polar aligning skills - always worth while.

so if you just want to view, i guess a dob is the way to go, but if you really are thinking about imaging, your first minor step should be the 150p. bear in mind tho that you will need to uprade the mount if youre planning to use a dslr to image - but your scope should hold its value quite well when you come to sell :D

All the best,

Tom

You could allways get the 200P dob for your fist steps observing and learning the sky wich will be essential. Keep imaging on the back burner till you have enough budget for a decent mount. The OTA can then be mounted on HEQ5 (or preferably NEQ6) at a later date for photography. Good compromise imho :D