Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from Australian Space Alliance (ASA)

spacealliance

Hi all,

My name is Peter Crane and I am the Co-Founder of the Australian Space Alliance (ASA), a nation-wide network celebrating the adventure of human space exploration.

As the Australian space industry continues to develop and expand, ASA will focus on building a platform in which people can share experiences, explore intellectual possibilities and connect with fellow rocketeers.

I'm very excited about joining the conversation and look forward to getting to know many of you here on the forum!

I would really appreciate it if you could help spread the word by following ASA on Facebook: Australian Space Alliance (ASA) | Facebook

and Twitter: http://twitter.spacealliance.com.au

Cheers,

Peter Crane.

Australian Space Alliance (ASA)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum.

As you clearly have an interest in space, may I ask if you have time to do any observing through a telescope? Is this something that you have thought about?

Clear skies

James

Hi James,

I absolutely love star gazing - with or without a telescope. I've been fortunate enough to own a selection of telescopes in my time, each having consumed me for hours on end. I also live near quite a few observatories here in Australia and try to visit as often as I can. A lifestyle I am most certainly satisfied with.

How about you?

Cheers,

Peter Crane

www.spacealliance.com.au

This is that magic moment when you now offer me a job to be your personal assistant, which will of course require me to visit those same observatories and force me to enjoy the same lifestyle. It's at this point I have a hunch that I may have got something wrong here.... I'll get my coat! :):D

Yes I only observe, mainly with my refractors at the moment and try to get out whenever I can (...or allowed)

Clear skies for now.

James

(still wondering if that his comments were really an interview :D)

Hello Peter, and welcome.

I had the pleasure of visiting Australia for three months in 2009, and discovered what a fantastic country it is!

For me it was like being a kid again, learning new constellations. I stayed for a few weeks with my wife's relatives at Moruya, NSW.

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcoming messages!

@JBM1165: I don't think I'm important enough to warrant a personal assistant, but none the less, you've sold it to me.

@inksmithy: I'm currently moving between Brisbane and Boonah (a few hours west of Brisbane) but used to live in Bathurst. I was lucky enough to visit Honeysuckle Creek many times and plan to visit again as soon as I can. Were you ever involved with the Observatory there? How long were you living in Australia before moving overseas?

@palebluedot: I used to live in Bathurst (only a few hours from the observatory) and would often make weekend trips to the Parkes dish. It is an absolutely wonderful place and I certainly recommend you take the kids if you ever visit Australia.

@the_laughing_crow: ABC's Star Stuff is a great show! I'm a huge fan of Stuart Gary and the show. Glad you brought it up!

Cheers,

Peter Crane

www.spacealliance.com.au

Hi Peter, no, I wasn't involved unfortunately, I was one of those spooky people who hung around the edges, fascinated, but too shy to bridge the gap and start talking to people.

I suspect life may have been different if I had though, the fascination is immense.

Sad to see that it looks like honeysuckle creek is being wound down - I once visited the site of the Orroral Valley Tracking Station and there really are very few places more desolate than an abandoned observatory. The concrete satellite dish platforms and the building foundations provide just enough of a ghostly outline for the minds eye to fill in the rest of the details.

I came over to the UK when I was 32, so spent all the time previous to that growing up and foolishly wasting the priceless opportunities I had.

Rectifying that now though.

Alan

Archived