SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

F-SIM Space Shuttle App

tomw28

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you who are lucky enough to own an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch have seen an app called F-SIM Space Shuttle?

The app puts you in control of the shuttle about 5 minutes before landing, the point at which the commander would normally take over in real life. From there you have to fly around either KSC or Edwards Air Force Base and line up with the runway, hopefully touching down gently at just the right spot on the runway. If that's to easy then you can always set up some turbulence, wind or set some systems to fail for that extra challenge.

The graphics are unbelievable, using high-res pictures for outside the shuttle and a 3D cockpit that lets you have a look around the flight deck, which I find in itself interesting. I never realised quite how cramped it is in there! There's also an external view on it's way, hopefully in the next few weeks I'm told, that is pretty spectacular!

It's a really well made game, with some brilliant features like a HUD thats a carbon copy of the actual orbiters, a really clever scoring system (can you beat my score of 1,055,817!) and real audio from an actual mission to help you land the shuttle.

Hopefully that will keep a few of you busy for a few hours (maybe days :D )! You can download it from iTunes (F-SIM Space Shuttle for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store), it's £1.79.

Good Luck!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd not seen this...thanks.

Seeing as my beautiful wife is suffering from pregnancy related knackeredness and I am all alone with waaaayyyy to much wind - outside, of course, not in the smelly sense of the word - I think Im gonna download it.

Thanks for the heads up dude.

:D

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

The app is currently on sale for £0.59 to celebrate the last flight of Endeavour, if anyones interested. During the last Shuttle flight it got to no. 1 on the iPad charts, so it really is a great app.

I'm buying this for £0.59! Amazing how cheap some of these great apps are.

EDIT: Haha, first attempt and I rolled off the end of the runway, but that was all. Not bad, maybe I should sign on for backup Shuttle pilot...

• 2 weeks later...

downloaded it about 2 weeks ago, started to find it quite easy to land so added wind etc and then soon removed it again!!!!! dont think nasa will be calling me up anytime soon.

• 1 month later...

For the very last shuttle flight the app has once again been reduced to £0.59.

But, after quite a few months of delays, the update to F-SIM should be out during this historic mission, which I think makes this price even better value. In this update the long awaited external views and replays arrive, and I can promise you its been worth the wait. As well as the external views and replays, the rendering code has been completely rewritten, and it now changes the colour of the sky with altitude, models the sun and the moon, as well as the stars, accurately plotted (and including colour!) at night. Also included are virtual onscreen "joysticks" to use instead of the tilt controls, which come in very handy when your bored but in a situation where tilting your phone is a bit obvious! Also modelled are reflections, a dynamic model of shadows for daytime, cloudy and night time landings!

As a little preview, here are some screenshots from the update, coming soon...

post-19335-133877631319_thumb.png

post-19335-133877631336_thumb.png

post-19335-133877631357_thumb.png

post-19335-133877631375_thumb.png

post-19335-133877631408_thumb.png

post-19335-13387763143_thumb.png

Yep, got the update and just had a couple of goes.

The replays are brilliant with smooth zooms and rotations and the new graphical engine is much better. The landscape looks crisper to me (iPhone) and everything looks smoother. It's an absolute bargain - I can't recommend it enough!

I especially love the end of runway camera - the orbiter comes from behind you, it's a great shot. :)

personally i think just flight's space shuttle for flightsim X is much better.graphics and handling are superb.there are various views from the cockpit to below deck and hanger bay,also moving grapple arm.

i have fsx and the shuttle both are excellent,

‪fsx.space shuttle re-entry.‬‏ - YouTube

this is my attempt at landing from space.the computer controlls re-entry,the you take over for a manual landing.the flight path and glideslope are all pre programmed into the auto pilot.or you can turn off auto-pilot and glide back in manual..

personally i think just flight's space shuttle for flightsim X is much better.graphics and handling are superb.there are various views from the cockpit to below deck and hanger bay,also moving grapple arm.

i have fsx and the shuttle both are excellent,

‪fsx.space shuttle re-entry.‬‏ - YouTube

this is my attempt at landing from space.the computer controlls re-entry,the you take over for a manual landing.the flight path and glideslope are all pre programmed into the auto pilot.or you can turn off auto-pilot and glide back in manual..

It also costs a heck of a lot more :)

:) Fantastic.. good call. Just got this... blown a tyre on first landing...and all for 69p on a phone!!

I'd never have thought I'd be doing this all those years back when I first played Asteroids and.. what was it called.. MoonLander? :)

Archived