Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

netbook for webcam astro capture

So, I've got my SPC880nc webcam flashed to 900, nosepiece and IR filter all set up, but what do I plug it into? I don't have a laptop.

I was looking to get a netbook, all it really needs to do is run WXastrocapture or similar and ideally stellarium too.

Is the dual core Intel atom N550 version (at £250 for PACKARD BELL DOT SE/R-710UK) worth getting over the N450 (at £180 for PACKARD BELL dot S2 UK/003)? Also looking at the SAMSUNG N145 Plus for £229 as it has a good battery life of up to 10 hours.

I'll do all the image stacking and processing on my desktop.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

There's several netbooks on Amazon UK with 250GB HD at under 200 quid :D That should be big enough :D Was considering one myself but would rather spend any spare cash on telescopes and things :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for the tips. Well, I finally got round to getting a netbook. I went for a Samsung N150P. It's a very nice little netbook, does everything I want really. Seems quite fast despite only 1gb RAM, but you can easily upgrade to 2gb which I might do in the future. It's so handy as it fits on the accessory tray of the scope tripod. Got a chance to go out and do some webcam captures of Saturn the other night. I see what you mean about the size of the avi files! Ended up with over 4gb of data! Lucky it has a 250gb hard drive.

Anyway lookout for my attempts on the planets and lunar imaging sections.

Archived