Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How safe is the C11...

I have a CG5/Vixen SXD with C11 and for me it has never slipped when both screws are locked down tight. Can't say I'm slightly nervous when balancing though - could do with 3 hands at that point. They really need safety stops just in case things slip when balancing.

Ian

Put a socket head cap screw at either end of the dovetail, that should stop the lump from slipping out

Oh yeah....didn't think of doing that:BangHead:. Cheers

How do you find the mount copes with the weight?

The mounts are fine for visual at that weight - do take a bit to settle though when touched, but the C11 is too heavy for DSO imaging on these mounts.

My C11 does have a grab handle at the back which helps get it in place??? Have they removed this now?

Ta

Ian

Personally, I wouldn't risk overstressing anything. It might seem alright but in my experience it pays to have a safety margin. After all, you have expensive kit there and if it were to break it wouldn't be just the mount, or bracket, that would suffer. You wouldn't want to replace that scope! Also, with that much weight you could injure yourself and you're worth far more than any equipment. Play it safe.

Oh yeah....didn't think of doing that:BangHead:. Cheers

The mounts are fine for visual at that weight - do take a bit to settle though when touched, but the C11 is too heavy for DSO imaging on these mounts.

My C11 does have a grab handle at the back which helps get it in place??? Have they removed this now?

Ta

Ian

Cheers WW, tho that ought not to be a problem since once it's on I shan't be touching at all.

Thanks for that Rik, I was hoping you might have a pic !:D that's pretty much how I imagine it would look for me. Have you got a motor focuser on your crayford?

Gina thank you for concern- I am getting older I know :) hoiking up 13Kgs onto a pier may prove too much, but not yet :D and I appreciate that perhaps a Losmandy dovetail may be better but I have yet to hear or read about a vixen type failing with catastrophic results but worth bearing in mind. And I really wanted to hear peoples' experiences with the scope too.

As for the weight- well the mount seemed to cope adequately when the Cape and Canon plus accessories was on it and I reckon that actually weighed more!

Umm stuff to think about for the future

Archived