SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Liverpool, first post. Looking to buy my first scope

PRICEMAN

Hello Everyone.

As title says, first post.

Ive been interested in astronomy for a few months and am looking to buy my first scope. I want a good all rounder. Definately want to see (and photograph) deep space.

The one I keep going back to is the Skyliner 200p Flex Dobsonian.

Anyone own this scope and / or got any advice for me on this scope or a suitable/similar alternative (budget around £450)

I've done some searches on the forums and seen a few bits and bobs on this scope but still can't quite make my mind up.

Great forum BTW

Priceman

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont get the argos newtonian Nat Geo one.... I bought it and its okay but not worrth it. I dont know too much about them as I am only new but usually the guys on here ask for your budget so they can tell you best one for price you are willing to spend.

Though I've not owned one I did get the chance to look through a 12" Flex tube the other week and I though it produced very good views. A lot of aperture for the money.

Dobs are great visual performers and also a good bet for a starter scope for anyone finding their way around the skies. It would not be a mistake to buy one for visual use.

As for Astrophotography thats a whole different ball game and a driven EQ mount that is capable of guiding would be a minimum recommendation

Welcome to SGL

Dave

Dobsonians will give you the best aperture for your money. The only astrophotography you will be able to do with this kit though will be to webcam the planets and the moon - no deep sky. As mentioned earlier above, you will need accurate tracking for that which comes from using an equatorial mount. One possible idea that lends itself in the longer term is to but an 8" dobsonian with a solid tube and not the flex model. Later you can put rings round it and mount it on a HEQ5 mount (which is really the minimum for tracking) which you can obtain later on but this way, you won't need to replace your scope. Add to your existing gear is always the way to work as it's cheaper in the longer run. You won't be able to mount the flex-tube equatorially.

Hope that helps rather than confuses.

James

Hi James,

That clarifies my situation a little too. I'm thinking of the 8" dob because its more mobile (and I can lug it around myself) but was thinking if the extra for the flex tube was worth it.

Knowing I can 'upgrade' my 8 incher is making me feel much more sure about it.

I want to do some astrophotography at some stage but for now I'm all for seeing more and experiencing what's out there. Astrophotography seems to be a whole other ball game and I'm not ready for it just yet.

Thanks, clear skies to you!

Vicky

Thats a big help. Thanky you so much. Will go for the 8 in non flex. I did consider this one originally but was told he cost of buying the eq5 mount at a later stage would be more costly (£250 for the mount by itself) as you can buy a similar scope with the mount (think it might have been an explorer 200p) for around £450.

Thanks again

PRICEMAN

QUOTE=JBM1165;1798259]Dobsonians will give you the best aperture for your money. The only astrophotography you will be able to do with this kit though will be to webcam the planets and the moon - no deep sky. As mentioned earlier above, you will need accurate tracking for that which comes from using an equatorial mount. One possible idea that lends itself in the longer term is to but an 8" dobsonian with a solid tube and not the flex model. Later you can put rings round it and mount it on a HEQ5 mount (which is really the minimum for tracking) which you can obtain later on but this way, you won't need to replace your scope. Add to your existing gear is always the way to work as it's cheaper in the longer run. You won't be able to mount the flex-tube equatorially.

Hope that helps rather than confuses.

James

Archived