SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone found Win 7 drivers for Canon 350d?

StevieDvd

Anyone found Win 7 drivers for Canon 350d? Or is this a dead issue as far as Canon are concerned. Wanted to use APT on my WIN 7 laptop and the driver is the only issue.

I'm afraid they don't exist, Canon decided (right or wrong) that you need to upgrade your camera, what a shame!

Your best alternative is dual boot as indicated earlier.

Guylain

Was hoping to either get a successful driver using my humble googling skills, no joy! Or find someone had seen a driver already. ;)

I'll keep on using my plasticky old WinXP netbook for now. :)

The only good news on the horizon is that BackyardEOS is apparently adding support for older canon cameras such as the 350d using the serial control cable in June.

Sorry for my bad manners in not thanking you guys more quickly.

DSLR Shutter will also allow you to do basic timed exposure using only the serial shutter release cable... OK the images will only be stored on the camera and you will have to setup the Manual/Bulb/ISO onthe camera manually as well.. but it gets you going for nothing... well a few quid to build the serial shutter lead...

Try changing the connection mode from 'Computer' to 'Print/FTP' (probably not the exact wording) in the settings menu. The camera should then be recognised automatically. This should allow you to browse and transfer images directly from the camera... not sure if it will allow comms between APT though

Steve,

Is your lappy running 32 or 64bit. If 32bit you may get away running the Vista driver, if 64bit then I think you're probably stuffed !

Canon Camera USB WIA Driver for Windows Vista

Yep stuffed - 64bit!

I have a 400D and that works fine on Win 7 32bit pro - would there be much difference in the driver between the 350 and 400 ??

Not sure but the 64bit probably comes into play.

I've also had an email chat with the author of BackYardEOS (BYE) and the serial support coming in June is for XP & Vista. No work around for missing WIN 7 Canon drivers, not his fault by any means. Very friendly and responsive, bodes wel for BYE users.

I have Win 7 Home on my lappy, my main PC has the Pro version which does XP mode. I can try a Virtual XP on the laptop I suppose to see if that's any use.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Cannon are not supporting the 350D on W7 but if you need to drive this camera from the command line or AA4/5 or just write a simple script just download the program ASTROSLR1 from JOHN MALLETT – astrojohn

All the best

John.

Ps let me know if you need something changed..

Quote:

Not sure but the 64bit probably comes into play.

I've also had an email chat with the author of BackYardEOS (BYE) and the serial support coming in June is for XP & Vista. No work around for missing WIN 7 Canon drivers, not his fault by any means. Very friendly and responsive, bodes wel for BYE users.

I have Win 7 Home on my lappy, my main PC has the Pro version which does XP mode. I can try a Virtual XP on the laptop I suppose to see if that's any use.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I have some software to drive the 350D from W7.

JOHN MALLETT – astrojohn

I am also willing to write a quick stand alone software tool to do the same if anyone wants one. Easy job for a serial port control cable using the control pins. (standard one I use)

Let me know what features. Mirror lockup etc.

Current software tool I wrote was to insert the correct parameters into DSLR Shutter. Works fine!

Regards,

John M

:BangHead:

Canon web site now has 32/64 W7 upgrade.

I can download images via Zoom browser with ease now that upgrade is installed. In the process of making a serial cable for shutter control.

My prob is that the 350D is allocated a serial (com) port on XP - can find no XP driver for 350D. Only needed this to test the front half of the serial cable. Seems this support is from Vista on.

I'll finish the cable and run it on W7.

• 7 months later...

I worked out how to control my Canon 350D with APT on Windows 7 64-bit, thus:-

On the Canon 350D, set:-

Bulb

Custom Function 7: Mirror Lockup - Enable

Auto Power Off: Off

Communication: PC connection (not the usual Print/PTP)

On the Windows XP Mode - Windows Virtual PC

Select USB drop-down,

- select Canon Digital Camera - Attach

- cancel the "Device Connected" dialog, unless you want to download images

Select Tools drop-down,

- select Settings

Change COM2 to Physical serial port to match that used by the USB->RS232 Camera Shutter control cable. I usually have to meddle with Windows 7's Device Manager to bring this in-line.

Start APT, set Long Exp. Control to COM2, set Bulb Seconds, press Shoot.

APT then usually crashes first time for me, but I just re-start it and we're off! Press shoot, and a few moments after the shutter closes I see the picture on the screen.

Notes:-

On the XP Virtual Machine, I installed the Canon WIA drivers from the CD labelled Canon DIGITAL EOS Solution Disk v1 1.1, "CEL-SF40A2M0" "EIG"

I use Windows 7 Professional, which comes with a licensed copy of Windows XP to run as a Virtual Machine. If you run Home Premium, you'll have to source a copy of XP from elsewhere. You might then be able to run it under Virtual Box for less outlay.

Archived