• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eyup lad, now then hows tha doin' ? Welcome to SGL Christopher :D

NOT A GO-TO!!!

DEEP SKY

won't be used for Astrophotography,

£300

An 8" Dob certainly seems to be the best answer to those criteria. It'll give you more aperture bang per buck than any other 'scope type and as others have said, aperture is the best thing for DSO work.

They're not called Faint Fuzzies for nowt, so the more photons you can gulp down the better.

Thanks RobH for pointing me towards that scope...

Advanced Series GOTO - Celestron C10-N GT (GOTO)

£500 second hand seems very good to me (Even though im going to be eating beans on toast for the rest of the month!) so I think im sold there.

It is over my budget but it looks just what im after.

Thanks for all your replies and the warm welcome.

I suppose i best stop oggling 'scopes and do a bit of work, 03.37am..........roll on 6am!

Eyup! Welcome to the real world!

200p Skyliner Dob will show you a mass of deep sky objects. It's easy to move and use. No set up, just grab and use. The views are clear and for a starter I couldn't recommend better.Planets come aound now and again, but there's plenty DSOs there.

Ditch the finder for a Telrad and ditch the supplied eyepieces for some decent ones.Turtlewax t'base.Get onto the Dob users forum.

Don't go crazy with spending; we don't get many moon free clear nights.

Remember it may be balmy at night now, it'll be nippy in December fiddling around with controls.

You'll have to spend a shed load for astrophotography. You can take some pics thro' the Dob ( see users group pics)

The Dob is my favourite scope, get in there !!!

You'll have to spend a shed load for astrophotography. You can take some pics thro' the Dob)

No you won't.

To get started, all you need is a scope that tracks and a DSLR, or secondhand DSI or similar at prime focus for DSO's, or a webcam for lunar and planetary imaging.

In neither case do you need to go down the autoguidin g route to begin with.

If you want to go the whole hog then of course you'll spend a lot, but you don't have to.

As regards getting decent DSO images with a dob, unless you have a 12 inch or above scope on a tracking platform forget it.

Dobs are great visual scopes, and that is what they were designed for.....astrophotography requires a driven mount.

Rob.

Archived