Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope storage - Improves Contrast!!

iwatkins

Hi All,

You often hear how reflecting telescopes provide less contrast that refractors.

There is a very simple reason for it. In both types you point your telescope at the heavens and in pours the photons.

At the end of the session, you store your telescope away. Refractor users store their telescopes lying down in their cases but Newtonian users store theirs on their EQ mounts pointing upwards or vertically for Dob mounted ones.

A lying down refractor allows the photons captured during the session to drain out, but your Newtonian on an EQ or Dob doesn't drain. They slowly fill up making the contrast less and less overtime.

So next time you worry about the contrast of your 16" Dob, remember to store upside down from time to time.*

:D:D:D

Cheers

Ian

* please don't.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi All,

You often hear how reflecting telescopes provide less contrast that refractors.

There is a very simple reason for it. In both types you point your telescope at the heavens and in pours the photons.

At the end of the session, you store your telescope away. Refractor users store their telescopes lying down in their cases but Newtonian users store theirs on their EQ mounts pointing upwards or vertically for Dob mounted ones.

A lying down refractor allows the photons captured during the session to drain out, but your Newtonian on an EQ or Dob doesn't drain. They slowly fill up making the contrast less and less overtime.

So next time you worry about the contrast of your 16" Dob, remember to store upside down from time to time.*

:D:D:D

Cheers

Ian

* please don't.

...don't worry the men in white coats will be with you shortly. Watch the blood drain from your face in the parabolic mirror as they tie a straight jacket around your torso and leave you in a dark padded cell where no photons can reach you*...

* "please don't" you beg them to stop

I take the mirrors and lenses out at the end of each session and wash off residual photons under the tap. Any stubborn ones that stick, come off easily with a sponge lol. Sometimes I put cling film over the end of the scope - then I can just peel off residual photons at the end of a session hahaha!

I always empty my reflector before putting away, aperture to the ground and give it a good shake; they all fall out no problem.

I carry a small 'toffee hammer' in my EP case, a few taps around the primary seems to move the stubborn ones... and it really helps my collimation skills - lol :D:D:D

Now be careful folks. We don't want to increase light pollution. All stray and unwanted photons should be locked in flock-lined light-tight boxes and put away in a basement vault!

Archived