Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Ursa Major

Useful Herschel observational tick list

Hello,

I am finding this list very useful. > 00_ALL OF HERSHEL 400

You can highlight the table and copy it into a word document and then add a column so you can put a tick (/ or *) next to the object you have observed.

You can use the search function in word to find the NGC number quickly if you have maybe seen and observed an object using stellarium but don’t know if its a Herschel object.

The good thing about this list is that you will always know what objects you haven’t seen.

It also has very thorough observational notes.

I hope you find this useful.

Cheers!!! Funnily enough I was thinking of starting this list last night after another rather haphazzard and unstructured observing session.

Yeah, I decided to start it a few weeks ago because I was getting bored waiting for more Messier objects to become viewable at a reasonable hour. It is also quite a lot more challenging than the Messier list with my small scope.

I find the "tick list" also works well with a numbered log of what you have observed so you can keep track of how many you’ve seen.

the link says, LUNAR, but its got allsorts. Downlaod the "Word Files".

You can type in using PC and save as you go along, no need for cut/paste etc.

Ed

Hi Laurie

thanks for that it will come in handy

Doug

Essex

Useful observational list - thanks Laurie. I started viewing the Herschel 400 list in October 2009 using this log that I found - ngc891 :: Observers Challenge

I made the decision to ignore all previous observations and started with a clean sheet. I bought the Steve O'Meare's book which is comprehensive and gives targets by month by month.

There are some fantastic DSOs within this list although some can be rather faint but its a great challenge for star hopping.

Good luck Laurie with the new list although I see you have already hit 52.

Mark

Edited by MarkC

Mark,

Thats a cracking site. Cheers for posting. I too have the O'Meara book for observing the list. Just wish this site can be downloaded for use when I'm at sea.

Eddie

Mark,

Thats a cracking site. Cheers for posting. I too have the O'Meara book for observing the list. Just wish this site can be downloaded for use when I'm at sea.

Eddie

It can be copy and pasted to a word document if you highlight the whole lot with the mouse and then printed out. Maybe this isn’t practical to take on a ship?

The images are downloadable, but the chartat the left comes down in "PHP".

No clue how to save that, it just keeps the net page, no image.

I have all these charts in PDF from link I posted above. Thanks anyway.

Ed

Love that astronomy logs website. Hopefully I can start being more constructive with viewing sessions.