1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Seen Saturn for the first time

StarryEyes

I was literally leaping for joy last night when I located and got to see Saturn for the first time. It didn't dissapoint either. I could just make out it's shape with my 28mm eye piece but when I put in my 4mm plossl, wow!

There was a small speck down and to the left of Saturn, would that have been one of it's moons?

Been waiting so long to get a decent night and time to view Saturn properly, cant wait to do it again.

I managed to image it but it's not fantastic, although you can tell what it is.

It certainly did Slangers and thanks for the link I will take a look.

All I need to know now is if I can make what I am imaging larger (in effect giving me a longer focal length) as my scope is 600mm.

I'm still learning!

It's great to have clear sky for a few days...

Congratulations on Saturn!

I had a look last night from Durham, UK and finally managed to get myself, my 130mm newt, a 10mm EP and a 2x barlow lens all pointed at Saturn - a decent size image at last.

As this was after a barbie where not a few beverages were consumed this was slightly amazing. As for jumping about - I nearly fell into the pond!

I could see Titan and maybe a few specs that may have been other moons but with averted vision. I'll have to get one of your 4mm Plossl EP's....

I'll never tire of Saturn!

Its certainly one of the wow moments in astronomy. My missus still finds it hard to believe what she's actually seeing. Looking forward to Jupiter and its moons again later in the year. Will hopefully have my 200p dob by then!!

congrats gemma, i have just got back from dark site (ruddy freezing)

i have been viewing saturn for the first time in years, used my tal100 and it was superb, a proper wow moment as last time i viewed it was so long ago!

Me too! My wife and I have been out trying to catch the Aurora with it's increased activity lately. No joy there, but was astonished with Saturn last night! Was both of our first viewings (only got the scope in October)

Used the 2X Barlow and the 10mm, and was amazed to see the gap between the rings and surface, along with the shadows. Really impressed.

Time for another eyepiece me thinks, any recommendations?

I have the Skywatcher 130P AZ Goto (630mm focal)

I am in love with Saturn. Saw it for the first time last Wednesday and just spent the better part of an hour staring at it tonight. I saw definite separation between the planet and rings and at one point I could have sworn I saw a moon with slightly averted vision. Thanks to Slangers for posting the link to view the position of the moons, I think I might have seen Tethys! Either that or it was an eyelash... but I'm going to say it was Tethys :)

We were following Saturn last night with a 200p Skyliner Dob. It was very clear with a 6mm eyepiece (x200), so put this on a x2 Barlow and saw divisions in the rings, shadows of the rings on the surface and the storm band in the N hemisphere. Didn't track it x400. Just moved the fov so that it kept coming from right to left.

It was absolutey clear with the moons in attendance.

everytime I go out the first thing i do is look at saturn, amazes me everytime I see it. even when searching for a DSO I find myself having a quick look at saturn every now and again. just weird to think i have seen it so many times bfore as what i thought was a star and not had a clue. still amazes other people when i just point at satun and tell them its not a star.

Saturn, for me, is one of the most beautiful objects up there. And considering the plethora of things of beauty...that's saying something.

Through my scope, for the first time, it brought me close to tears of amazement (isn't huge and too much x and it just goes blurry). Enough to see rings no problem. But still a wow.

Looked at it through MTweedy's C11 at Derwent Reservoir and I swore out-right...and not too quietly. Think the other members may not think highly of me now :p

It was huge in the scope and just outrageously stunning.

What an utterly utterly awesome thing to see. We're probably only a small proportion of the earth's population to have ever seen it in realtime through our own light capturing devices :D

Quiet a privilege, I'd say.

• 4 weeks later...

What an utterly utterly awesome thing to see. We're probably only a small proportion of the earth's population to have ever seen it in realtime through our own light capturing devices :)

Quiet a privilege, I'd say.

I like it! Quite right which is why I always love to share the view with people who have never looked through a reasonable scope before, it always blows their socks off :)

I showed my friend Saturn on Friday night. I didnt have my evostar with me so we used a Carl Zeiss spotting scope but it was powerfull enough to show saturn and its rings and we could see two maybe three moons. When she focused it there was just this yell of "I can see rings!" It made her night.

The first time I saw Saturn I was using a 25mm and i could barely see the outline of the rings and maybe a moon or two. I was jumping up and down and I went running into the house yelling for my wife I just kept screaming "I found Saturn...I found Saturn". It was something I'll never forget.

it is real that saturn is ine virgo now near porrima now and it's quite easy to point out with the telrad i have on my newtonian reflector and it's also real that with my 20 mm wide view the view i see into is quite pretty good with the sky i have at home( i have two lamps near my house ) so it's quite difficult to have a good stargazing at home but saturn where that is located in the sky is good to see.My newtonian reflector is a 114/900 with a eq5 motorised mount.

Arnaud

• 2 weeks later...

Showed my grandson Saturn for the first time last night - looks good with a 13mm Nagler.

Celestron NexStar 8SE

Celestron 7AH Power Tank

Celestron dew shield

GSO 2" diagonal

GSO 8x50mm RACI

Bob's knobs

Hand Control Mounting Bracket (JMI)

Feathertouch SCT MicroFocuser

Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads

Eyepieces: Astro Tech Titan Type II ED 40mm, Panoptic 35mm, GTO Proxima 31mm, Panoptic 27mm, 20mm Nagler T5, Baader Hyperion 17mm, 13mm Nagler Type 6, ES 6.7mm N2

Orion UltraView 10x50 Wide-Angle Binocular

StarDust Observing Chair

I've just seen my first Saturn too ;)

It really was a wow moment, and so exciting considering it was only my second outing with my first ever scope.

Image was small-ish with 9mm ep and 2x barlow but still unmistakable

Going to bed a very happy man :D

I can also happily report that I had my first viewing of Saturn last night - what a way to blow away the frustration of the last few weeks cloudy nights. Just bought a new (2nd hand) 'scope and have been going mad waiting to try it out. Very satisfying with 3x barlow and 15mm - seeing that the 'scope is new to me, I spent a long time checking that the 'rings' were not some kind of abberation or fault! No doubt about it though, could just about pick out the shadow of the rings I think. Eye's still feel a bit 'squinty'. ;)