Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Shuttle Missions??

Don't get me started! :)

Our doofus president has decided that the USA doesn't need any space-based capability anymore, and sold the legislature on the idea that we will go to space "tomorrow", when all of our "social problems" are solved. :D

After the last shuttle flies, we go from the world leader in spaceflight and technology to having the same manned space capabilities as Guatemala. The man is an absolute Luddite. The Democratic Party, under the (posthumous) leadership of John Kennedy's vision took us to the Moon. Obama's "leadership" has flushed that noble legacy down the loo. I, for one, can't wait for the 2012 election cycle.

Ah, Democracy... a centuries old tradition of closing the barn door after the horses have fled! :D

Dan

the shuttle has come to the end of its shelf life and obama like many presidents before him hasn't put the money into manned space flight consequently there is no replacement. A great shame and short sighted of many politicians but I guess its a fact of life that many don't see the benefits of space flight. the fact is while mankind is tied to Earth we are in the position of having all our eggs in one basket another mass extinction event and we could all be gonners. I won a trip on the space shuttle back as a child in 70 or 71. I wanted the second prize which was a telescope but I won. then the programme got cancelled and when it reopened they no longer proposed to take tourists. I had the boarding pass for many years then lost it when i was about 20. A couple of years ago some of these gold tickets came up for sale on ebay and apparently went for some thousands of pounds that would have been enough to have bought me my first scope, ah well.

NO WAAYYY!!!!! To be honest though I would rather the flight into space than the money... that would have been awesome. Its amazing, we seem to be going backwards with everything nowadays. Concorde????? Now Shuttles. What next? cars and jets? What ever happened to moon colonies etc lol.

Our doofus president has decided that the USA doesn't need any space-based capability anymore, and sold the legislature on the idea that we will go to space "tomorrow", when all of our "social problems" are solved. :D

It seems to be a condition of a certain profession ... 2 new aircraft carriers but scrap the aircraft for them ...

Its amazing, we seem to be going backwards with everything nowadays. Concorde????? Now Shuttles. What next? cars and jets? What ever happened to moon colonies etc lol.

Sadly Timelord, the only place human colonies in space exist is in the imagination (and sci-fi books) of folks like me, who were kids when Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo glory days.

EDIT ANT: No advertising

When we put a lander the size of a VW bug on Mars just seven years to the day after Apollo 11 landed on Luna, I felt sure I would see lunar colonies and manned landings on Mars in my lifetime. Now, I'm not so sure I will ever live to see them (I'm in my mid-50's now).

So, come on up to the Moon, the frontier mining colony of Gassendi LEX is thriving and well and waiting for you... in my imagination and in my books.

Cheers!

Dan

I remember back when the banking crisis was in full swing and the US government was pouring money into the banks.... I looked up the latest NASA provided cost estimate for a 2 year manned mission to Mars. Needless to say the cost for a manned mission to Mars was a fraction of what was/has been poured into the banks by the US government alone (never mind europe, japan etc etc)

We could go to Mars within the decade, its just a matter of political will.

So..... VOTE FOR ME and I'll "choose to go to [Mars] in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy but because they are hard"

Sadly Timelord, the only place human colonies in space exist is in the imagination (and sci-fi books) of folks like me, who were kids when Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo glory days.

ANT: REMOVED

When we put a lander the size of a VW bug on Mars just seven years to the day after Apollo 11 landed on Luna, I felt sure I would see lunar colonies and manned landings on Mars in my lifetime. Now, I'm not so sure I will ever live to see them (I'm in my mid-50's now).

So, come on up to the Moon, the frontier mining colony of Gassendi LEX is thriving and well and waiting for you... in my imagination and in my books.

Cheers!

Dan

I have actually been on one of the other threads where you are offering to sign your books for people lol. I have a big interest in sci fi... especially doctor who (obviously lol). Im in the process of writing a book myself, was considering starting up a section for people to bounce book ideas off of each other on this forum.

I remember back when the banking crisis was in full swing and the US government was pouring money into the banks.... I looked up the latest NASA provided cost estimate for a 2 year manned mission to Mars. Needless to say the cost for a manned mission to Mars was a fraction of what was/has been poured into the banks by the US government alone (never mind europe, japan etc etc)

We could go to Mars within the decade, its just a matter of political will.

So..... VOTE FOR ME and I'll "choose to go to [Mars] in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy but because they are hard"

I juat dont get it. Its obviousl to even people with half a brain that an ELE will happen at some point and we are never going to be ready for it... The thing is, the universe is so large that I cannot understand why we are so persistent on staying on this rock. It reminds me of prisoners that have been institutionalised, get freed and leave just to go back to prison again. All that freedom and they dont know what to do with it. (i realise i have bad spelling)

And I am in Scotland so not sure about voting for you lol

I'll vote "Crow for President" (you gotta be better than the present wonk... or Donald Trump! :D )

You are all right about the ELE's...

There is no Immortality to be found on the Home Planet!

Let's go to Mars!

Dan

It makes you sick doesn't it?

I am going to try and make the most of what I can by going to Florida this summer to witness the final launch. In a happy and awesome, depressingly sad kind of way...

Unfortunately, unlike the current president, I cant produce a birth certificate from any of the 50 states. So we'll have to start the campaign by getting the legislature to change the law to allow non-US born citizens to have the same rights as US born citizens.

But that'll be easy, right?.....

NO WAAYYY!!!!! To be honest though I would rather the flight into space than the money... that would have been awesome. Its amazing, we seem to be going backwards with everything nowadays. Concorde????? Now Shuttles. What next? cars and jets? What ever happened to moon colonies etc lol.

That to be honest is part of the reason why I wanted the scope more than the trip, we were all going to be living and working on the moon anyway it didn't seem that exotic. I could do that when I was older. wearas I wanted a telescope now.( I was 10 so maybe my logic was a little skewed) Of course now that I'm older I now realise what a truly extraordinary trip it would have been.

Needless to say the cost for a manned mission to Mars was a fraction of what was/has been poured into the banks by the US government alone (never mind europe, japan etc etc)

Sadly, due to the way the capitalist world works, if the banks are allowed to collapse, there is no capital to invest in things like space programs, mineral extraction, industry in general. Despite the very bitter taste, without bouying up the crooked bankers etc. we have no developed world.

Archived