A couple of motor problems

Andrew*

Okay everybody. Appreciate all the advice. I've disassembled pretty much everything I can on both motors, and I can see how to fix the dec, but still need some help with the RA. Namely I need the cogs, and a screw to get the motor in the right place. Here are the pix:

This is the wiring on the dec motor - the red one snapped. I think I'll just get the soldering iron out and rewire it with good connections:

image.jpg

This is what is under the plate. The RA motor fits comfortably in teh middle:

image.jpg

A screw like this, but longer, should go through the elongated hole on the left of the previous picture. It has a 4mm hexagonal fitting:

image.jpg

It should go into this thread in the RA motor bracket. Unfortunately, this hole is lined with rust. Don't tell me that's why the motor was fitted how it was because of a bit of rust!! How do I clean up this thread?

image.jpg

This is the bit (sorry I don't know the technical names!) that comes out of the RA motor. It should have a cog system attached to it:

image.jpg

I'll know what to do once I have that screw and the cog system. Where can I get these from?

Cheers again everyone. Really appreciate the advice.

Andrew

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not good at taking things apart my so my advice here is going to be limited.

To clean up the thread, a wire bush and comressed air to get rid of all the bits or you could try one of those baby bottle cleaners (big brush at one end and little brush (for the teats) at the other and then once the bolt goes in and out ok something like WD40 to help stop the rust coming back.

The rest of the questions... down to the others.

Ant

Andrew

A little proposition for you..

I have an RA drive motor with cogs gears and bits from my

EQ5 that I replaced with an HEQ5.

I will still be using the mount but not the motor.

This came as a single motor mod (RA only) with an RA only control box.

How do you fancy a straight swap for (if you still have them) your 2" focuser/ red dot finder/ 1.25" T mount adapter?

Let me know, it might get you up and running :lol:

thanks a lot for the very kind offer Phil. I'll get back to you once I've done a few more minutes research.

Just a question - are you going to be using the t mount on the 2" focuser? Only, the 2" focuser has a t thread on the 1.25" adaptor anyway.

Andrew

Update: I got the cog off the dec motor and onto the RA motor, which means I don't have to locate spare cogs. This means I'll have to give up on motorised dec, which is no big loss to be honest. I still need the screw/bolt to attach the RA motor to the mount. I don't know much about these things - will I be able to find one somewhere with an identical thread, or do screws vary too much for such a coincidence?

Phil, I'd be interested to know what your part 2 was/is.

Andrew

Yup. Fair enough, I do like cheap mself. Best o luck with it though - I remember the pics. You holding back for a HEQ5 goto or something later on Andrew?

yup - it's called a baby! :lol:

Andrew

I take it the motors are s/h?

Do you have some pictures?

they're identical to the ones in Gordon's link. They were fitted with the EQ5 i bought second hand a while back. I reckon they were bought s/h seperately from the mount, and slapped on in a bit of a hurry!

Do you know of a dealer who will sell the cogs?

Andrew

[/quote You could try here Andrew. Can't guarantee anything though.

http://www.telescope-service.de/mount_accessories/start/mount_accessories_start.html#Doppelbefestigung

Had a search through dad's screws and bolts and lo and behold, eventually found one with the right thread. The head is not of the preferable hex fitting, but it will do. I've transferred the cogs from the dec axis and will have to do without that for now. So I have a tracking mount! :lol:

Now I need a starry night to start thinking about polar alignment!

Andrew

Archived