Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

cooking

AstroTiger

Hi all

for once i have to disagree with that male chauvenist Gordon Ramsey. Saying that ost woman do not cook

Just about every woman i have come across cooks. It is the blokes who tend to fail there..

In fact lets have a debate, who in here is the chef.

Personally i am not bad my specialities are

Potatoe Tortilla

Chili con carne

spag Bowl

Rice

etc...

I cook all these from scratch too (ok i buy the sauce), but non of itis processed food.

hows about you guys.

Al

Me and my girlfriend are pretty balanced at cooking, I can cook lasagne's, pasta bakes, rissotos, chilli, spag bol, curry (speciality prawn curry) etc... I tend not to buy sauces and start from scratch, my friends mock me because every meal I cook starts with an onion :clouds1:

Onions are staples! If it doesn't have onions and garlic, it's not real food. :clouds1:

I was s hort order cook for several years in a diner in Wisconsin. I am, to this day, the Breakfast King. I make breakfast every day for my wife and I. We prepare lots of meals for the week on Sunday, (we both work and are never sure if we'll work late), I do about 1/3 of the prep, she does the cooking.

I cooked for myself since I was about 15 yrs old. Prepared food has too much sodium, on the whole and will kill you eventually. :shock:

I shoot, skin, gut and then cook rabbit. Which makes a very tast caserole.

Hhhmmmm, rabbit stew.  Takes me back to when I lived in a bedsit; I often bought frozen rabbit from Sainsburys and casseroled it...  Delicious!

Steve :clouds1:

Yep, VERY underated is rabbit!

Most of us have had rabbit. (Do you realy think that all that chicken in a chinese curry is chicken?)

Im not complaining cos i love it.

If we have friends over for dinner then i am the chef.

If someone has to put something in the microwave then the wife is in charge.(GO ON NUKE IT BABE)

As a boy i never learned how to cook.

My stepfather, a bit of a w****r as you can guess i hated him. But he was a diamond cook. Never passed his skils on though.

I have only really learned through my wife. Firsrly cos i have to, takeaways get prices and the ready made meals are not very nice.

But being malaysian as well, she cooks lovely egg friend rice and curries.

I forced myself to learn to cook as, even though i simply adore my wife and her cooking, i simply yearn for some british stodge.

I remeber the first roast i did was last boxing day. I came home from xmas early as she was not well. My mum gave us a turkey.

I must have called the old dear a dozen times for advise, but it turned out a beauty.

One lesson i have realised is, never follow recipes to the letter, it never turns out, modify it.

someone said thet see onions ands garlic as staple food, true, garlic at least is, and i like oinions but wife doen;t.

for me though staple food is meat. Now no meal is a meal without some form of meat

tomorrow, i am gonna fo a lasagne from scratch! Screwed up my first one, this one will be better

I will let you all know how it goes :-)

Al

i dont know if i really should say this,but here goes,i have only cooked two meals in my life(54years old).if mrs dont cook i eat out.

just no intrest/havent a clue.spudicus rabbit is my fav+ pheasant+ venison.my dad was a poacher and usboys followed his tradition

one thing i must add i do breakfast every xmas(dont i grant) :clouds1:

cheers jimmy

I quite happy to dabble in the kitchen, in fact, quite enjoy it. I like most things (except fishy fish, and some veg), and partial to chinese, thai, malay, indian, mexican, greek, turkish, italian, spanish and occasionally, english!!!!

I cook and that includes the creation of sauces to use also. My wife is a fantastic cook, her father used cook for the queen (He was an army chef)

You name it - she can cook it from scratch.!!

Rob

:clouds1:

I do 90% of the cooking for our family, but I really enjoy cooking so I dont mind.

If I say so myself, im pretty good at it and can turn my hand to most things, except baking, which for some strange reason I've never had a go at.

I learned to cook by necessity when I joined the Fire Brigade 20 years ago as a callow youth who could just about boil an egg. My very first nightshift I had to cook the evening meal for around 15 grizzled veterans and after a while I learned that you didnt dare dish them up just any old cr*p!

I mainly enjoy cooking Indian and Mexican  food, but I love cooking a traditional roast lunch with all the trimmings on a Sunday.

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Al,

I'm a big fan of traditional British cooking and baking, I can cook most things and as for baking (I'm a bakers wife, so know lots) . My favourite is chocolate steamed pudding...yum, I also like rabbit too, my dad used to shoot them on a farm near us (before he bugged off with another woman :clouds1:).

So if you ever need any cooking help, just let me know :clouds1:

Jayne

My wife would burn a cup of tea!!

Needless to say I do all the cooking in this household.

Chicken Barrington - One of my favourites!!

Breast of chicken stuffed with pate wrapped in bacon - served with a white wine and mushroom sauce, saute potatoes and a selection of seasonal vegetables.

Or

One-pan garlic and thyme chicken with 'sticky' vegetables

Preparation time less than 30 mins

Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour

Ingredients

1 free-range or organic chicken, jointed

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 tbsp light olive oil

2 carrots, halved

4 small-to-medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut into 1.5cm(½in) cubes

1 small celeriac, peeled and cut into 1.5cm(½in) cubes

12 baby onions, peeled

3 cloves of garlic, left whole and gently bruised

1 sprig fresh thyme

150ml/5fl oz chicken stock

2 tbsp runny honey

120g/4oz unsalted butter

2 tbsp fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped, to garnish

Method

1. Season the chicken pieces with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large deep frying pan and fry the chicken pieces for about 6-8 minutes, turning regularly, until browned all over. Remove from the pan and set aside.

3. Add all the vegetables to the pan used for cooking the chicken and cook for a few minutes until they start to soften. Add the bruised garlic cloves and thyme and return the chicken to the pan with the vegetables.

4. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and carefully pour around enough stock to come about 0.5cm(0.2in) up the sides of the pan.

5. Drizzle over the honey, add the butter and cover with damp greaseproof paper. Cook for about half an hour on a relatively high heat. (Important: you will need to keep checking every now and then to make sure that the stock doesn't evaporate too quickly. If necessary add a little more stock as you go along, however the idea is at the end of the 30 minutes when the chicken is cooked, the stock has almost completely evaporated and the vegetables are golden and sticky.)

6. To serve, divide the chicken and vegetables between four warmed plates together with any sticky juices. Scatter with the parsley.

Mmmmmmmmmmm..............

Greg

Archived