Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Brick build obsy - What can I do for a roof on it?

swag72

I think I have decided that I am going to go for a brick built obsy as I have so much concrete etc around me that a few more bricks aren't going to make the warm air thermals any worse!! I think it will also be more secure, which is what I would like when there's a couple of ££'s worth of kit in there.

So, my obvious question from the thread title is what can I do for a roof? I can not afford a dome, so will have to think outside the box a little. I was originally thinking of having lowish walls with flip down wooden panels on top to make real use of my good viewing. Instead I think I'll just build a higher pier.

So I ask you good folks of SGL, what would you do with the roof?

I think that a ROR will be very tight. I certainly won't be able to have a conventional frame (same size as the shed with 4 corner posts) for it, but I have seen something where the 90 degree supposts are on the side of the build and then support the roof.

Just an observation (pun intended!) with my own ROR obsy I only ever need to roll the roof half way to be able to see from the zenith to the southern horizon (in an arc from E to W). The only reason I would need to roll it further is to align with polaris or on the very occasional times that I may want to see something "north of the zenith" - which is seldom.

I don't see any reason why, if these circumsances suit your situation, that you could not make a roof that is "easy" to roll off just over half way and maybe has to roll, flip or fold if further access is needed.

I've just found the reference to the "fold down" roof here: http://www.harrysastroshed.com/shed.html Maybe something similar?

another idea which i had in mind was a roller garage door laid across the roof so i could just pull it across (you can get silent ones that have padding in the groove)...only problem i forsee is keeping it watertight...overhang slightly?...just another idea for you to think about :D .

Great ideas so far - Thanks so much. Here is the area in which it is going to go - I hope!! I am looking at using the area to the left of the steps, straight across to the front small 'wall'. That will give me about 2m square and a couple of nooks for the laptop and some storage. I am looking at an aluminium door of about probably 5 foot. That's how high I am anticipating the walls being at this stage.

post-18339-133877597185_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I forgot you had posted pics before. As suggested above, how about a split roof that you can roll or slide off to either side and hang down out of the way? You can have it made light weight and brace it or tie it down if and when you need.

Of course a problem has dawned on me - If I have solid 5 foot walls and a higer pier, I won't be able to have a flat roof over it - Doh!! How do I get around that without a dome? I am thinking some form of huge plastic agricultural tank.

Archived