Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M 101 with 12" GSO newt.

Luis Campos

Hi there,

I finally got some clear skies around here, there's been nothing but rain and bad weather so far...:eek:

Here goes a first real test with the GSO 12" newt. riding my EQ6, guiding is still a work in progress but not that bad so far.

The image is a stack of 9x300 sec. with a modded Canon 350D with no LP filter, the original image sufered from nasty gradients so this was heavilly processed with PS CS5, nothing like a good dark sky for galaxies...but you can't ride 400 km to a real dark sky, the petrol is sooooooo expensive around here now :)

Hope you like it!

CHeers,

post-25681-1338775967_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luis

A stunning view of M101, you have captured loads of the H2 regions in the spiral arms, just lovely.

Sympathy with the cost of fuel at the moment, same here in the UK:mad:

Adrian

Great image, really like the extended asymmetric spiral arm.

Do you use a field flattener?

What's the FL?

How heavy is the OTA? (I didn't think the NE6 could manage that sort of load)

Hi there,

Thanks everyone for the nice comments :D

nightvision, this ota has 1520 mm fl (F/5) with this I use a Baader MPCC coma corrector, the same I use in my Altair astro 200mm f/4 newtonian, great little piece of glass this MPCC :)

The Ota weights about 20 kg, and more 22 kg of counterweight on the EQ6, I use this on a ultra short pier that I made for this setup, with works but only with ZERO wind...but it works!

Cheers,

Trying to figure out why this image is not just good but unusual, I think it might be the resolving power of the 12" aperture. There are only a few (I am aware of on the forum) imaging with such a large scope.

If Skywatcher brought out a competitively priced NEQ7 that could carry 40kg I could see a lot of 10-16" dobs being used as donors.

Trying to figure out why this image is not just good but unusual, I think it might be the resolving power of the 12" aperture. There are only a few (I am aware of on the forum) imaging with such a large scope.

If Skywatcher brought out a competitively priced NEQ7 that could carry 40kg I could see a lot of 10-16" dobs being used as donors.

Yup, however SW would need to design the mount rather than adapt the design. It's one thing to scale a design and have it work, it's another thing to create a design cheap enough for SW market price target and both take payload accurately..

The problem is that SW is at a point where they can't use the materials in a cheap to manufacture block fashion (ala NEQ6) but would have to use the materials to reduce the mass/weight otherwise the mount would be too heavy for the intended market too.

Archived