Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Was that Saturn?

Dubbs75

Hi Guys,

After a couple of weeks of frustration of having a new Explorer 200 on a Go-To EQ5 but not being able to use it due to cloud, we finally set up last night. My girlfriend and I both knew Saturn was in perfect position for our south(ish) facing garden. Everything was set up (not aligned as we didnt have much time) but we found what we believed to be Saturn. Talk about disappointing. No matter which eyepiece we tried, from a 20mm Plossi to a 12mm in a 2x barlow, there was nothing more than a yellow dot. Now two things came to mind, either that wasnt Saturn or thats what other poeple see. Having moved up from a Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ, I wouldnt of though this was the issue but you never know........

Whilst out there we also tried the 1 star alignment as a quick test. We identified the target and centred on the eyepiece, confirming on the handset that this was correct. Then after a few scans we asked it to find the star we used for alignment, this was off :) but as a secondary trial we asked it to find Saturn. It slewed in the opposite direction to where we expected! Oh well, more manual reading beckons.......

When I saw Saturn through the same rig as you it took my breath away. Possible that it wasn't Saturn you were looking at or your EP's are not doing enough for you. Did you try the 12mm without the barlow? I would invest in a six mm EP without the Barlow to begin with.

Last night through my 80mm frac and an 8mm eyepiece I could see not only the rings but two moons also.

Saturns an easy target for a 200mm scope - make sure you don't have it set in EQ-South mode for a start, we're in the Northern hemisphere lol.

If it was just a dot in the 20mm and 12mm then you were on the wrong target. You'll easilly distinguish the rings at those magnifications. Did you polar align before running through the 1 star align? Also ensure the finder and ota are aligned with each other.

The other common thing that throws it out is setting the date, time and Latitude. Make sure the date is in US format month first "mmddyy".

Hope that helps :)

I set up to see Saturn last night, around 9.45pm. Using a Tal 1 with 6mm and Tal x2 barlow the vision was awsome. Two moons, faint ring shadow on the planet surface & line markings on the upper half of the disc. The rings looked very sharp for the magnification I was using. Excellent viewing conditions in Sawley.

Might be a stupid thing to say but how can I polar align if I can't see Pokaris (our house blocks the north view!)

with difficulty :D

if you can find a point close to your house to polar aligh from, then keeping everything pointing the same way, move it to your viewing location it will be roughly pointing there.

or if you have a compas you can find magnetic north, then use google earth to work out the angle to true north from this, you can set your altitude by knowing your latitude position.

I'm by no means an expert, but sounds like you found Arcturus and not Saturn. Arcturus is very bright and is yellow-orange in colour. Saturn would be unmistakable through your EP. Easy mistake though if you can't Polar align, both are in the South sky, but Saturn would be further West than what you were viewing I think.

I had similar problems, but if you download Stellarium, it should help you locate things more easily :D

Hi. I would suggest that you firstly understand exactly where Saturn is in the sky with your own eyes before using the scope's system to find it. Saturn is extremely easy to find in the south (it will be due south at about midnight).

In your scope, you should easily see that Saturn is not a star, and you should easily see the rings, moons, shadow cast from the rings on the planet.

Download Stellarium (for free) and familiarise yourself with where exactly it is in the sky. Alternatively if you have an iPad, download Starwalk and simply hold the iPad up towards the sky and move it around. It will show you in real time exactly what you are looking at and you will have no problems locating Saturn with it.

Once you know exactly where Saturn is, you will be able to see for yourself if your scope is set up right, because it should be pointing to the exact same object that you are looking at with your eyes.

Ah right, we are not in EQ South mode, and the coordinates appear correct (check on google maps and the compass on my Iphone).

Is it possible to wire the RA and Dec to the handset the wrong way?

Ah right, we are not in EQ South mode, and the coordinates appear correct (check on google maps and the compass on my Iphone).

Is it possible to wire the RA and Dec to the handset the wrong way?

I wouldn't have thought that was possible.

The coordinates for your location (Tipton) should be entered into the handset in the following order and format. 002 04 W, 52 32 N

Peter

Well tonight was an experience my girlfriend and I will never forget. Tried the alignment again but still off, but the sky was so clear we decided to do things ourselves. After discussions of whether we were looking at the right but of sky, and consulting Stellarium we viewed Arcturus. Wow! Amazing view and not what we had viewed last time out. Next we pointed in the direction of Saturn but still nothing but bright stars. After about 5 mins of skewing - BINGO!!

You were all right, it was a sight neither of us will forget. Daring to build up the mag we put 2x and then 3x Barlows in the scope. It was much better than I imagined possible.

Damn the fact I've got work tomorrow as the forecast is for clear skies all night, but this is definitely an experience either of us will forget! Took a few pics through the IPhone and even a short video. Now we need a webcam. Any advice for what we need is always welcome guys!!

Thanks again for your help as always.

Clear skies :)

Archived