Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally a decent Saturn - from my SPC900

Olorin

Hi All,

This is my first post here but I have been following your great advice on imaging planets and would like to share my result of Saturn from 24-Apr-2011

The picture was taken with SCP900NC with SkyWatcher 8" Newtonian.

I have also placed 2 barlow lenses one on top of the other x2 and x3.

I am also attaching a 7 picture animation from the 25th seeing was not as good as the 24th but Registax managed to make something out of the frames to view the rotation of Saturn.

Thanks

Dror

post-25865-133877596577_thumb.jpg

post-25865-133877596581_thumb.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not just decent, i'd say that is a fantastic image. Even the AVI frames are clear too, so the seeing must have been pretty good (at least better than I'm getting!).

The x2 x3 barlow combination seems to work out quite well.

Wow - That is terrific for an SPC 900 - It really shows what it's possible to achieve!

Would this be taken at FL 5000mm @ f25, or is it FL 6000mm @ f30? I can never remember if you add or multiply with stacked barlows! (Whichever, I find it really difficult focusing at FL 2700mm @ f15... :))

Hi All,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Chris I think it is f30 and the way I reach the focus is by using a Bahtinov mask (self made from a carton), this makes the focusing process possible :-)

Paul I have updated my profile with location details, I have taken the picture from my home. I am located in the city center so I guess it can get better if I go to a dark site.

Thanks

Dror

that is a brilliant image , especially for such a low cost astro cam. I've got one but been unable to use it yet, until the weather is more reliable and i can take my pc outside. I don't have a laptop unfortunately.

Well done.

Adamski

Hi,

Thanks again for the comments, here are some answers to the questions above:

1. I use Skywatcher EQ5 as a mount with manual tracking (using the mount controls), however I am unable to point my mount to the celestial north as my porch is south-east bound :-( so I need to manually move Saturn back to the center few times during the movie

2. The barlows are: Meade Ultra TX 3x Barlow, and Meade 2x Short Focus Barlow, both are 1.25" mount

As for the Bahtinov mask it is fairly easy to make it yourself using a carton and a utility knife, I strongly recommend it as it improved my results dramatically.

Hope this answers all the questions above

Thanks

Dror

Archived