Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HitecAstro DC Focus Motor Controller

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hang in there Peter, we reopened Tuesday after the bank holiday, your Skywatcher Autofocuser and HitecAstro DC Focus controller will be with you tomorrow at your work address :)

Steve

I've just ordered one - how about a thread for people to post details of adapters that they've made for their various scopes??

Yes please, anyone ever attached one to a moonlited newt?

Stephen

The PDF which you can download from the Hitec Astro Site says that the DC motor focus is not suitable for Autofocusing using "software" and you should use a stepper motor based system instead...

Here's the text...

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: The term autofocusing is often used liberally.

‘Autofocusing’ is the process of using a computer to accurately focus a CCD

camera without any intervention from the user. DC motors are not capable of

reliable AUTO FOCUSING. Although you may well get some decent results with

autofocusing using HitecDCFocus, we cannot guarantee this. The reason for this

is that DC motors cannot be used to absolutely position the shaft repeatedly.

HitecDCFocus does however allow you to control your focuser VERY precisely

which will make focusing your CCD much easier and more accurate.

If you require accurate ‘autofocusing’ using software such as MaximDL,

FocusMax etc, we recommend you check out our range of high quality stepper

based focusers which are more than up to this task.

You will also need to supply your own USB cable as one doesn't come with it... and a Power Supply...

Peter...

Raining now so no need to water the garden ...

I might spend an hour or two in the shop machining the shaft adaptor and mounting bracket for the Megrez 72....

Here we go.. Sorry no photos of the brass bush that connects the alignment bush to the focuser shaft...that took a few mins to turn up on the lathe.. the shaft diameter on the Megrez 72 is 4mm and the hole in the focuser knob is 4.1mm for a bit of clearance...

The bracket was a piece of scrap HE30 quickly knocked into shape on the milling machine and the mounting and clearance holes to allow the focuser to be adjusted and the motor disconnected drilled in the drill press... just given the Brillo treatment...

SWMF_Megrez72_1.jpg

SWMF_Megrez72_2.jpg

SWMF_Megrez72_3.jpg

Mine arrived today...

First Impressions:

Well built, professional looking unit. However I would of liked better buttons for the IN / OUT - similar to those on the SW controller. I would of preferred a socket for power so it gave the user a choice of using a mains power adapter or cable with a cigarette lighter plug on it. I like the idea of having a USB socket as this allows the user to provide one of any length, however it would of been nice if a standard 1.8m USB lead had been included in the price as it would make it a complete plug and play unit out of the box. Lastly, it would of been nice for a basic diagram as to how to connect the device (what's the blue circle socket thingy on the side by the motor port ?)

I've yet to download the software... again, would of been nice if this was supplied on a small CD - Just my opinion... hopefully get a chance to play at the weekend when I get a 7 port USB hub and do a test set up with all my cameras etc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No problems Steve, works well now, i did have some problems with software- using the ascom driver via other programmes (SharpCap, Ascompad), but with some help on here from other members i got it sorted

Stephen

Thank-you Stephen :icon_eek:

There has been some discussion here on SGL while people establish what is and isn't compatible, but as far as we can tell the product is successful and we have had no complaints or returns, which is good :)

Archived