Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 200p - Unboxing, building and some add ons

Adz

Some early Skywatcher Newtonians and Dobsonians were supplied with a circular card disc or plate that covered the rear of the primary mirror. It looked tidy but was otherwise pointless and may even have increased the mirror cool down time so it was quietly discontinued. We still see it occasionally on smaller apertures but not 8-inch models like the Skyliner 200p.

Nice thread btw :)

HTH,

Steve

Really useful info, thanks! For the counter weight, I hear this works well - SUPER STRONG MAGNETS TAXI SOM ROOF SIGN/ROOF BOX/LIGHT on eBay (end time 14-May-11 09:30:03 BST) - attach the magnets, then find something to fit (tuperware with something inside, drill a hole in it?). There was a thread somewhere about this. When I my 2" 38mm panaview arrives I think I'll do this - the telrad is already starting to tip the balance.

Thanks for the link :)

What a good idea for a thread - well done :hello2:My 200P dob has similar mods, though a little different (AE light shield is more of a 'peak' shape and is shorter & simple RDF which doesn't suffer with dew to replace the 9x50 finder), but that's the great thing about these telescopes - we can customise them to how we want them :)

M13 is a lovely sight & I can highly recommend the 13mm Hyperion. It just works so well in this telescope and also fits the full Moon in it's field of view, which makes for a stunning view :eek: Solid tube or flextube? I remember reading some advice on SGL a while ago which basically suggested the flextube was more suitable for 12" telescopes and above, and the solid tube for the smaller sizes like ours. In the future I may well put my OTA onto a GEM and the solid tube is more suitable for doing that.

I think what you mentioned about the flex and solid tubes is great advice. I also have considered a long term plan of a EQ6 so the solid tube provides that possibility too. (I still love the simplicity of a dob though:evil6:)

Great thread for a great scope.

You guys n gals should start up a splinter group in the Dob section.:eek:

Regards Steve

Cheers Steve, they make great scopes for Televue eyepieces too :o

Great thread Adz! Thanks for directing me!It will definately clarifly things for newbies, like me, who open those boxes and go.....'Oh dear lord! What is that!!!?

The mods are great too!!. Had a little practice with 'nudging' last night, and the mount doesn't 'flow' quite as smooth as I'd like, so will be plundering the OH's car wax!

Hopefully tonight will be my 'first light'...looking good so far!!!

Cheers,

Vicky.

Glad it could help Vicky, I hope your first light went well. Just make sure the central bolt isn't too tight and the staples in the supporting blocks are well and truly below the rubbing top.

Hi guys,

Just a quick question...

Just took the baby out for a bit of 'practice', and noticed that the metal cover for the primary mirror is missing! ( I think it should have one, as astro baby states to remove it in her collimation article.) There are holes for it.....but no metal plate.....

Please correct me if I am wrong!

If it 'is' missing, can I still use the scope without it, or can I do damage????

Cheers,

Vic.

Yeah the 200Ps don't come with a plate at the back in dobsonian form. When you get one on an EQ mount then they have the metal cover you mentioned. Those holes you think a cover are for are to do with the collimation of the primary mirror, I hope you haven't been playing with them :)

I've just got myself a revelation 10 inch dob, great bit of kit. Looking at fitting it with tube rings and a dovetail to use on my celestron goto mount. These scopes definitely give a lot of bang for the buck.

the screws at the back for adjusting the primary they say there are locking screws that you need the alan key for? i put the small alan key supplied in and it doesnt feel like there is anything there do you just do the screws with the screwdriver is this right?

should get a sgl wiki up with info for everyones scope

Edited by ZEbbEDY

the screws at the back for adjusting the primary they say there are locking screws that you need the alan key for? i put the small alan key supplied in and it doesnt feel like there is anything there do you just do the screws with the screwdriver is this right?

should get a sgl wiki up with info for everyones scope

hey zeb look at astro babys guide to collimation, she explains very clearly the role of each part

Astro Babys Guide to Collimation

the alan key holes are locking to keep the mirror in the adjusted place, the cross haired silver screws are for adjusting the primary collimation :)

Great thread Adz. I'm sure it will help many a beginner.

Thanks to you for all your help from my plethora of questions! It is nice to give something back to the community.

Thanks all for the info re: the plate.

And no...I haven't been messing around with the screws. It'll be a while until I dare touch such things!

Yup, if it ain't broke... don't TRY to fix it. Easier said than done I know :D

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant thread- oh dear, I'm about this > < close to ordering now. The thing is I was hoping to order it in about a month or two (when work lets up for a bit) but I can imagine waiting, then ordering only to have to wait for delivery!

Thanks for posting :D My purse will thank you later! :p

Vicky, DO IT.

FLO are just about to get a shipment of gear in, it will probably disappear in a flash. If you miss out, you may have to wait for the next boat, which could be 6 weeks to two months.

Don't take a chance!

Alan

Thanks Alan... I'm thinking that's the plan. I'd be gutted to have to wait another stretch :D

I read that review Adam, very comprehensive and alongside other reviews has sold the scope for me- it's 'the one' eeekkk!!! ( that's excitement in print)

Thanks guys :p

@adz.. great review pal.. im almost done planning to order SkyWatcher Explorer 200PDS.. the mount may be different but the OTA is virtually the same.. the images you posted helped my clearly visualize what id be getting in my boxes.. a review very well done indeed.. good job.. ;)..

@adz.. great review pal.. im almost done planning to order SkyWatcher Explorer 200PDS.. the mount may be different but the OTA is virtually the same.. the images you posted helped my clearly visualize what id be getting in my boxes.. a review very well done indeed.. good job.. ;)..

No problem, enjoy the new scope :o

Actually the OTA isn't virtually the same I just thought I would let you know. It has a different (better) dual speed focuser, black tube colour and the focal length is less by designing the mirrors to be closer to one another. This makes photography with prime focus easier, but keeping good collimation more of a priority.

• 2 years later...

Now you just need a clear night!

I also made a double piece in a small square and stuck it here:

It stops the OTA from banging hard against the mount if I was ever stupid enough to undo it that much (it is quite heavy one sided with the accessories atm).

Now, that's a mod even I managed! But with a felt pad left over from those used to protect the wood floor from chair legs!

Cheers

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great thread!

I continue to be delighted with my 250px solid tube - 4yrs on!

I thoroughly recommend the Lacerta 10:1 dual speed focusser upgrade (eg sold by TS). To me, this was a really great buy, beautifully smooth, and rock solid mechanically - made a big difference and a joy to use.

Also, I only realised this year that you can buy the kits for Argo Navis - and I've installed - nice and easy. This is then an investment that can be ported later if desired to a larger scope - kits available from Wildcard Innovations for wide variety of scopes.