Narrowband

Skywatcher Skyliner 200p - Unboxing, building and some add ons

Adz

Hey all,

I am aware of how popular this dobsonian is these days so I thought I would make a thread showing everything about it.

I shall start out with what is included if you buy one of these new and the assembly required.

Delivered you will get 2 massive boxes :)

IMG_7765.jpg

One contains the optical tube assembly (OTA)

IMG_7766.jpg

it also contains these parts

IMG_7767.jpg

which are:

> 2 inch eyepiece adapter and cap

> 1.25 eyepiece adapter and cap

> Optical 8x50 finder and holding bracket with elastic band to go inbetween the two

> A 25mm wide angle 'super 'eyepiece with caps and a box

> A 10mm 'super' eyepiece with caps and a box - I believe this EPs to be Kellners

> An instruction manual and promotional leaflet

The second box is heavier and contains the mount

IMG_7769.jpg

It has 5 sections with a manual and these fittings:

IMG_7768.jpg

which includes:

> Carry handle for mount

> 2x tension handles

> 3x feet for mount

> 4x holding blocks for OTA

> Eyepiece holder

> Swivel bolt and bearing

> Alen key fixing screws for most of the building work

> Some tools (I never use the ones supplied with this kind of thing)

So after the mount is built it looks like this:

IMG_7770.jpg

• Like 7

As excited as I was to finally get my scope, I was anxious to make sure it would fit in my little car. My dark site I have to drive to, so this is essential. I had taken down the measurements of the scope from the internet and done the best planning I could...

Fortunately it fits!!! My car is now the scopemobile!

The OTA fits in just on the back seats with an inch to spare either side (I keep a large blanket underneath and the belts normally done up around it)

IMG_7773.jpg

The great thing about corsas is they are so adaptable. The rear seats have a second seating position, I had to bring the backs of the seats forward on this setting to fit the mount in the boot. If I couldn't have done this, it wouldn't have fitted in!

IMG_7774.jpg

I always keep the parcel shelf out now to make things easier getting in and out. I also use the boot of my car to store things like eyepieces when observing (stops the dew).

Edited by Adz
  • Like 2

So it was on to how to make this scope my own...!

> I bought a telrad finder, and mounted it next to the optical. As of many uses, I can now say they work extremely well together!

> I bought an Orion precision centering adapter. This is a compression ring that secures your eyepieces evenly and without scratching things, great for higher quality eyepieces!

Both of these cost about 40 quid.

IMG_7777.jpg

Then I bought some neoprene off the internet for about 8 quid plus 3 p+p.

The neoprene was 1200x1200mm and a little bit thinner than I planned. So I carefully stuck two pieces together for my scope's dew/stray light shield.

I bought some double sided sticky tape and velcro for about a fiver in total. It looks the business!

IMG_7776.jpg

Then from a great website I downloaded a dew shield template for the telrad (mine dewed up every singled time I used it before this)

http://www.homebuiltastronomy.com/downbino/HomeBuiltAstronomy-TelradDewShield.html

IMG_7780.jpg

I still have enough neoprene left over to made a couple of dew shields for my binoculars when I get time.

I also made a double piece in a small square and stuck it here:

IMG_7781.jpg

It stops the OTA from banging hard against the mount if I was ever stupid enough to undo it that much (it is quite heavy one sided with the accessories atm).

I realised the the cental washer and 3 supporting sliders in the mount weren't doing a great job at being smooth. So I tried some candle wax around things - DONT DO THIS :)

It made things much worse and more sticky. I had to use turps to get all the wax off and everything clean for another idea. I was recommended car wax so I borrowed some of my dads and waxed up everything inbetween the two boards. Then polished it all up and it works a treat! Another successful mod.

One final thing I also wrapped up my boot light of my car in red see through material, it works a treat for keeping the night vision relatively intact.

Edited by Adz
  • Like 2

So some ideas that are still floating around in my head:

> Buying or making a counter weight to balance the tube (it is affecting things quite badly at higher magnifications)

> Moving the eyepiece holder round to the focusers side

> Making a dew shield for my binos and the optical finder of the scope

> Adding some setting circles

> Buying an electric focuser

> Collimating (checked and didn't need it on delivery)

I hope someone may have found this useful, cheers

Edited by Adz
  • Like 3

Amazingly useful, thanks Adz.

I have a couple of questions though.

1) How tall is the entire setup standing upright in the corner?

2) How much much floorspace does it occupy?

3) People keep saying "nudge", how heavy is "nudge?"?

Great to see the unboxing, really whetted my appetite for mine now!

Alan

Glad it was helpful Alan, no one likes making a duff purchase :) Not that you would with this scope...

1. I just measured the base and ota off the floor and make it about 131cm

2. The diameter of the boards is about 53cm, the handles protrude out a little further, but they are easily taken off all the time if space is an issue

3. The nudge is fairly difficult to describe. I am guessing you mean to keep the object in view? The only example I could give that springs to mind is if you had a normal cup of tea (like me now!) and tried pushing it slightly along the desk, it is a little easier than that.

Hope that helps :eek:

That's great, yeah!

If everything goes right, ill be ordering mine tomorrow morning - trying to decide between the flex tube and the classic version.

Nice problem to have though - choosing between two 10 inch scopes.

Good writeup Adz, really helpful, thanks again.

Alan.

Edited by inksmithy

Just spoke to Steve at FLO, going to order the classic tube 10 inch - the order will hit his inbox so hard tomorrow he'll have to check it for cracks I reckon.

I'm planning on being somewhat mobile with it, but I have a cunning plan, which involves modifying a really big steerable garden trolley on pneumatic wheels.

Cheers,

Alan

I'm planning on being somewhat mobile with it, but I have a cunning plan, which involves modifying a really big steerable garden trolley on pneumatic wheels.

Now THAT sounds like engineering!

Thanks! You got any plans for yours in the works, or eyepieces perhaps?

Have you seen m13 through the 200p yet? Blows the mind!

Looking to get a 13mm ish ep, maybe a Hyperion.

Not seen M13, my balcony/window faces SSW so maybe in a couple of months.

I'm still buzzing off 'sky scanning' at the mo through 32mm Panaview.

When I get a med/high power ep I'll be on a galaxy mission.

It's warm enough now to observe out of the window (first floor, floor to ceiling windows to open).:)

I still love my Dob!

Great thread, though it's making me even more impatient for mine (should be delivered early May). Definitely should be a Skyliner 200P owners club, I can imagine a long line of them in a field somewhere like a 21-gun salute!

Chris

Great thread, though it's making me even more impatient for mine (should be delivered early May). Definitely should be a Skyliner 200P owners club, I can imagine a long line of them in a field somewhere like a 21-gun salute!

Chris

That's a seriously epic idea! Loads just in a field, preferably with a line of chavs on the receiving end of our battery :)

• Like 2

I just finished with 5 years as security in a northumbrian magistrates court (redundant at 38, twas a tragedy...payout is getting my scope though :)) I have to say, the idea of putting chavs in front of cannons is very appealing.

That said, while the prospect of a good dose of edumacation isn't likely to stir them, there is a remote possibility the view through them might inspire one or two to something other than pinching the guider scopes.

Alan

• Like 1

Really useful info, thanks! For the counter weight, I hear this works well - SUPER STRONG MAGNETS TAXI SOM ROOF SIGN/ROOF BOX/LIGHT on eBay (end time 14-May-11 09:30:03 BST) - attach the magnets, then find something to fit (tuperware with something inside, drill a hole in it?). There was a thread somewhere about this. When I my 2" 38mm panaview arrives I think I'll do this - the telrad is already starting to tip the balance.

What a good idea for a thread - well done :)

My 200P dob has similar mods, though a little different (AE light shield is more of a 'peak' shape and is shorter & simple RDF which doesn't suffer with dew to replace the 9x50 finder), but that's the great thing about these telescopes - we can customise them to how we want them :)

M13 is a lovely sight & I can highly recommend the 13mm Hyperion. It just works so well in this telescope and also fits the full Moon in it's field of view, which makes for a stunning view :eek:

Solid tube or flextube? I remember reading some advice on SGL a while ago which basically suggested the flextube was more suitable for 12" telescopes and above, and the solid tube for the smaller sizes like ours. In the future I may well put my OTA onto a GEM and the solid tube is more suitable for doing that.

Great thread Adz! Thanks for directing me!

It will definately clarifly things for newbies, like me, who open those boxes and go.....'Oh dear lord! What is that!!!?

The mods are great too!!. Had a little practice with 'nudging' last night, and the mount doesn't 'flow' quite as smooth as I'd like, so will be plundering the OH's car wax!

Hopefully tonight will be my 'first light'...looking good so far!!!

Cheers,

Vicky.

Hi guys,

Just a quick question...

Just took the baby out for a bit of 'practice', and noticed that the metal cover for the primary mirror is missing! ( I think it should have one, as astro baby states to remove it in her collimation article.) There are holes for it.....but no metal plate.....

Please correct me if I am wrong!

If it 'is' missing, can I still use the scope without it, or can I do damage????

Cheers,

Vic.