SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help! laptop keeps rebooting

lukebl

I've been doing the whole trawl the net thing and take a look at TDDSKiller.

There are quite a few posts on this removing something that was causing this issue on a number of machines. Worth a go?

Can't confirm the legitimacy of the s/w so tread carefully (as always when downloading).

Thanks, Jeff

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah well, it's gone to the computer shop now for a complete reformat!

Now I'll have to remember how to reinstall all the NEQ6 drivers, EQMOD, EQASCOM, Webcam, CCD, PHD, Registax, Carte du Ciel and additional catalogs......

Oh well, something to do tomorrow whilst the rest of family are wasting time watching THAT wedding.

Although it's a bit like closing the gate after the horse has bolted as you've handed the machine over to your repair agent, iastor.sys is the driver for SATA and/or RAID controller - it could be that something (windows updates ?) has caused the system driver to assign an illegal IRQ to the controller or the driver has become corrupted.

Although it's a bit like closing the gate after the horse has bolted as you've handed the machine over to your repair agent, iastor.sys is the driver for SATA and/or RAID controller - it could be that something (windows updates ?) has caused the system driver to assign an illegal IRQ to the controller or the driver has become corrupted.

Thanks Malcolm, but I've got to the stage where I'd rather pay someone else to look under the bonnet. I enjoy using computers, but the workings of their innards is beyond me, like modern cars!

Additionally, it seems that this is a fault that other people have seen, and Dell have addressed with a new driver set (here) - even if you re-install it may come back without this new driver set....

Hope this helps...

Sorry to hear about your tech troubles.... Something I think everyone should have to hand is a Linux "Live CD". You pop it into your cd drive and turn on the computer. Instead of booting into the OS from the hard drive, it boots into the OS on the CD.

In extremis this means you can save all your data from your Hard drive onto a removable drive if your normal OS has corrupted. Then you can reinstall your OS onto a freshly formatted hard drive..... and if that fresh OS youve installed is Linux well then, all the better :D

+1 for that :D SystemRescueCD is good. Formatting, partitioning and data recovery from an otherwise broken HD. Of course, it freeware :) I've recovered a broken Windows system several times using this, sometimes without having to reinstall Windows.

Archived