Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81 and M82

fatwoul

OK, I'm a little embarrassed posting this amongst the impressive work on here, but I've finally worn out M13 for now, and have tried M81 and M82:

BodesSML.jpg

Details are that I took 60 of each of the flat/bias/dark, and planned to take 240 x 1minute lights, but when I came back the next morning my camera had only managed 126 before the battery snuffed. I have a mains unit for it, but it creates horrid buzz lines across my light frames so I never use it.

Anyway, I'm moderately pleased compared to my last attempt at M82, so at least I'm making progress.

Don't be embarrassed, you are way ahead of me. I want to have a go at 81 and 82 but I haven't seen a black sky for ages. With them being right overhead I thought it would be a good target to get started on.

I for one am very impressed.

Don't be embarrassed, you are way ahead of me. I want to have a go at 81 and 82 but I haven't seen a black sky for ages. With them being right overhead I thought it would be a good target to get started on.

I for one am very impressed.

Thanks, fd. Overhead would indeed be ideal...if it weren't for the blindspot on my new SkyShed POD! Fortunately, this pair are currently grazing along one edge of the roof, so I can still get them...for now.

Great image. I'm just starting to enjoy my MN190.

Has your camera a RF choke on the DC cable, it should have one. If not add one as near to the camera as possible. If it has one add another, it may solve the buzz lines.

Thanks guys. Roger, I wish I could take credit for the round stars. It's just lucky that the subjects are so close to the pole. I really need to start using my SynGuider again, but recently I've had real trouble finding stars close to the objects I'm imaging that it will see and lock onto.

@Fatwoul

There's a 2nd hand 383L+ on sale at AB&S

Nadeem.

You're a bad man, Nadeem. :)

Unfortunately, funds won't permit the 383 or 314 until next month, which is just as well, since I am still mithered between the two. If I'd had the money now the indecision might have come to an abrupt end!

Thanks for letting me know.

Here's the link for the ad I guess you're talking about, in case anybody else is interested.

(Mods - if linking to ads like that isn't allowed, please delete it and accept my apologies)

I wanted to see if I could drag some more detail out of this pair, especially the spiral arms of M81 (Bode's, right?) which is why I originally scheduled 240 exposures. After a few minutes fiddling about comparing one of the previous RAWs with LiveView, I've managed to line the camera back up to the same position (at least, to within the wiggle of the P.E. of my mount).

So as I write this, my D3 is rattling off a few more shots of the same thing, and I'm going to try sneaking them into DSS with the shots I already had, and see if I get away with it.

Very shonky approach, I know, but I've only got a couple of hours to spare on this tonight, so I didn't have the time for a load more flats, etc.

You're a bad man, Nadeem. :eek:

Unfortunately, funds won't permit the 383 or 314 until next month, which is just as well, since I am still mithered between the two. If I'd had the money now the indecision might have come to an abrupt end!

Thanks for letting me know.

Here's the link for the ad I guess you're talking about, in case anybody else is interested.

(Mods - if linking to ads like that isn't allowed, please delete it and accept my apologies)

Get a 314 and join the 314L formation imaging team.... :)

Get a 314 and join the 314L formation imaging team.... :)

Dammit Coco I'm so torn and you're making fun of my plight! :eek:

I really really can't decide between the 314 and 383, despite their being being different cameras in most respects. I love the field of view I get with my D3, but I am tired of the sleepless nights I get leaving a £3,500 DSLR out in the garden unattended! I want a cooled mono CCD which I can dedicate to the single job of astro imaging. Both you and Deneb have (very convincingly) sold the benefits of both the 314L+ and its sensor, but it just seems so small to me. We get few clear nights as it is, and I'm going to triple/quadruple the exposure times I use by switching away from a DSLR as it is, without having to also mosaic larger objects. But the 314 is reputed to be much less noisy, and as Deneb has pointed out to me, without the 383's mechanical shutter, there's less vibration.

I said I was torn! :):eek:

Archived