First DSO seen through scope...wow

Chris16373

Tonight I had the scope out again and after some Saturn-gazing (really

wonderfull as usual, each time I see more detail, I guess my eyes are

getting more used to scope-watching) and following the ISS I decided

to try to finally find a DSO. Tried to find M13 and I knew I was near it but

till tonight I had no luck.

Using the slow-controls a bit I finally saw a grey blob and looking

at the position and with earlier use of Stellarium I knew I found it.

In my scope of course not a bright big blob but still, to find something

and seeing it through your own scope...amazing! :eek:

Tried not to call out loud : yessss :)

Nothing like tracking down DSO's - you'll soon clock up loads more when you get into the swing of it. Even though most of the time they are just different types of fuzzy blob it's knowing what you've found that's amazing (25000 light years away, half a million stars etc). As mentioned M81/82 are quite bright, as is M3.

• 2 weeks later...

3 down, excellent! From a good, dark site you should be able to get all Messiers with your scope (his was 4" as I recall, and crud by our standards). M13 was my first one through binoculars, and M81 and M82 followed quite soon afterwards. They are a great pair.

What you say about getting more experienced in gazing through a telescope is spot on. As you gain experience, you find you see far more detail and fainter objects than before. It is a skill that can be learned.

Cheers

Michael

And yes...tonight I added (finally) M81 and M82 to my list (haha...list of 3 now).

It took me a long time to locate over the days, but finally I "got" them ;-)

Now that you've observed galaxies you'll have an easier time doing it again. I think some people expect to to see a CCD-quality view when they first view the faint fuzzies - keep at it. Make it easy on yourself and stick to ones with higher surface brightness as you gain experience.

Best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...

the only thing more satisfying than finding a DSO for the first time is findng it for the second time on a different night, thus proving to yourself that it wasnt fluke finding it the first time.

there are nights i cant find anything and find myself longing for a GOTO mount, but that would take some of the fun out of it, wouldnt it?

there are nights i cant find anything and find myself longing for a GOTO mount, but that would take some of the fun out of it, wouldnt it?

There is a current big long thread about just this subject so I am not going to bring it up here :) But it depends how much time setup takes vs how much time you get to spend actually observing I guess...

Archived