SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

how to cheer the gf up?

Manok101

So my gf shares my interest in astronomy, although I think only because she knows I'm very passionate about it. I've been trying to think of a DSO that I could send her a pic of that might cheer her up, or something, it's a long distance relationship so I can['t go to her and spend the night or something. I used the antennae galaxies once to send her an i love you, since if you have a wide enough picture it kinda looks like a heart. I don't wanna send her the same thing again, I'm trying to be creative.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My god man she is your girlfriend, send her some flowers not a picture of space. If you want to show her you care keep astronomy out of it, all that sending a pic of a DSO will show is you are thinking of astronomy and not her.

Unexpected flowers with the note "I was attempting to think of something with stars to say something, but all I could think of was you!" ???

Rosette Nebula.. send some roses with the note "You mean so much to me that you'd need roses the size of the Rosette Nebula to get close!"..

Lots of options :)

Dangerous might give her the wrong idea...:):evil6::eek:

lol warped minds think alike :)

Seriously flowers are the key, perhaps with a small shot of something astro based as the name card to keep it personal

I would have to agree with Simon here. Unless she has a genuine interest in Astronomy (rather than just encouragement of your interest) then go for something you're sure she'll love. Can't really go wrong with flowers (although, saying this, most girls do seem to have some flowers they hate! Never easy, is it? :))

I would like to say that the ring nebula was tongue in cheek, I forgot to put a smiley. I really have to agree that unless she is seriously into astronomy she would rather think you were thinking of her than stars

Something that worked for me, all those years ago;

I have always loved the "I saw this, and thought of you...." type of approach, especially when the "this" is something unusual or unexpected.

One time I sent my now Mrs of 20 years a large nut, bolt, and washer that I found along the road somewhere. When she asked what it was for I gave her the message : "I'm NUTs about you, so don't BOLT, or i'll be WASHERed out!"

Another time I pinched me dads petrol lawn mower and went to a local park, and cut a huge cupid heart into the grass along with our initials. The invited her for a walk in the park, where we 'discovered' the heart.

For our wedding I carved a wooden heart out of a pear (pair!) tree, then carved a rustic wooden container lined with red velvet with an opening lid, which I polished and engraved with a soldering iron the words "I give you my heart..."

Another time I made a little scrabble board with little letters spelling "I love you".

Genuineness, spontaneity, and a little thought can go a long way. At Kelling Heath Star Party this year, we will be celebrating our 20th anniversary, yes, in a tent!!

Hope it goes well for you :)

Try this one APOD: 2008 March 8 - M104 Hubble Remix

If that doesn't make her go weak at the knees you need a new girl... :)

Not sure if it's romantic - but it is an awe inspiring picture - thanks for the link,

Anyway, back to Manok101's dilemma - how about a poem?

"Roses are red, violets are blue

I saw the Crab Nebula

and thought of you!"

No?

Not sure if it's romantic - but it is an awe inspiring picture - thanks for the link,

Anyway, back to Manok101's dilemma - how about a poem?

"Roses are red, violets are blue

I saw the Crab Nebula

and thought of you!"

No?

You're either brave, or.........very brave!

Archived