SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Twisty eyecups - extended or not?

Hi all,

Just tried first time observing with my bins. Since cloud cover rolled in, only a patch around Vega (Lyra) is clear.

So I used it instead to practice holding, focusing, and so on.

The bit I don't understand is the twisty eyecup. Do I extend them or not? I read in Steve Tonkin book that it's better to have circulation so don't exted.

However I found it better if I extend it as I can rest the bins on my face?

So what's the best?

I have them in for glasses wearers, like myself, and out (edit-not in) for without glasses. I understand the point about air circulation but then they would need to be held a short distance from your eyes. If you don't get any steaming up have then in the most comfortable position for you.

Dave

Yup, in the section of the book dealing with dew prevention (p98), I suggest folding them down on very cold nights if they are misting up. Apologies if I didn't make it clear that this is not "general" advice for all conditions.

Yup, in the section of the book dealing with dew prevention (p98), I suggest folding them down on very cold nights if they are misting up. Apologies if I didn't make it clear that this is not "general" advice for all conditions.

Thanks for the clarification Steve!

I always have this dilema with my bins - I leave the eyecups in when I've got my glasses on, but find it far more comfortable without them and the eyecups extended. The problem then is that I can't see where I'm pointing the bins because the only thing I can see in the sky without my glasses is the moon. Maybe I need contacts.

Word of warning - if you're sharing bins with someone wearing mascara, make sure you twist up the eyecups when you hand the bins over. Greasy coloured eyegoo on your glass gets real old real quick.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I have found that I sometimes use my eyecups retracted on star clusters because I like the out-the -window of the spaceship effect in my Celestron 20x80s. On planetary or Lunar viewing I prefer the eyecups extended to block out stray side illumination from streetlight or what have you. I have gotten used to viewing without eyecups on my Newtonian scopes because I find that my eyes are more relaxed and I see more. Len

You never see birdwatchers using their eyecups twisted up since it's much easier and faster once you get used to it. With the up you waste time locating the cups into the correct seating position, down you can just plonk them on your brows and Bob's a dunlin's uncle. The only time I use the eyecups up is when it's blowing a gale and the gap makes my eyes water.

........... Word of warning - if you're sharing bins with someone wearing mascara, make sure you twist up the eyecups when you hand the bins over. Greasy coloured eyegoo on your glass gets real old real quick.

So which one of your mates is wearing mascara ????? :BangHead:

So which one of your mates is wearing mascara ????? :)

the best one :eek:

seriously though, i have trouble sometimes getting my bins "square" (i.e. no kidney beans) with my eyes with my glasses on. i think i need more practice.

Archived