Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

mmmm, want to laugh at this, I really do

Catanonia

The cockpit canopy of the F-22 Raptor jet fighter is made from a piece of high optical quality polycarbonate, and is the largest piece of its type formed in the world.

The material must be pretty good is it has that application and also used for riot shields.

But... An interesting idea.

Decent polycarbonate is quite rigid and light. It's often used for machine guards and that sort of thing. This particular set looks on the thin side. Maybe there is the possibility of making something with the same rigidity as an ali ring set, with less weight.

Anyone have data on the rigidity of various grades of polycarb?

The cockpit canopy of the F-22 Raptor jet fighter is made from a piece of high optical quality polycarbonate, and is the largest piece of its type formed in the world.

The material must be pretty good is it has that application and also used for riot shields.

I bet his polycarbonate wouldn't take a 400mph turkey hit :)

I used to work in a place that made bulletproof visors out of polycarb, its incredibly strong stuff and doesn't shatter like acrylic plastic. Having said that looking at his design, the rings are too thin where the nylon bolts pass through and commercially you are wasting a lot of polycarb to cut out one ring from a solid square. Nice Idea though.

Archived