Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory Build Underway

malc-c

Well all those concerns regarding the roof holding up under heavy snow would appear alleviated...

We've had 10 - 12cm overnight and pleased to say the obsy has held up well :clouds1:

Nothing like the 'First snow fall' to test out your ROR structure!!

You can breath again now Malcolm knowing all is well :D

But you had nothing to worry about............

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very intereting thread, great tips on the build and gives me lots of ideas for my own future build (far future, need a kitched extension first). I plan to knock down and re-build the garage in the back garden to incorporate a tool shed and an observatory, just have to be careful of the planning permissions etc. I'm in two minds as to whether to have a propper dome or a roll off roof similar to what you have done in your garden. The dome has the cool wow factor but I guess the roll-off roof will be far cheaper!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Malcolm,

I have found this thread a great read and very informative for when I build my own obsy hopefully in the near future.

With regards to piers I have a few questions as I think I am going to go down the same route as you with a concrete pier using waste pipe.

• Did you pour the concrete for the foundations and pier at the same time, or did you fill the waste pipe afterwards when you fitted the pier adapter?
  • With regards setting the pier adapter plate into the concrete I can't quite tell from the photos how many of the 6 threaded bolts you initially cast into the concrete. Is it just the 3 holding the bottom plate down or did you cast the other 3 which connect to the top plate also?
  • What size bolts did you use?

I'm looking to make up some drawings for my pier adapter in sketchup as I have a friend who is a fabricator who may be able to get it made up for me.

Thanks in advance for the information and once again thanks for a great thread. I'm looking forward to starting my own thread when I am able to sart my own build :)

With regards to piers I have a few questions as I think I am going to go down the same route as you with a concrete pier using waste pipe.

• Did you pour the concrete for the foundations and pier at the same time, or did you fill the waste pipe afterwards when you fitted the pier adapter?

Hi, the pipe was concreted in to the ground at the same time as the foundations were poured (well within a few days). I then filled the pipe at a later stage in the build after I had cut the pipe to length

• With regards setting the pier adapter plate into the concrete I can't quite tell from the photos how many of the 6 threaded bolts you initially cast into the concrete. Is it just the 3 holding the bottom plate down or did you cast the other 3 which connect to the top plate also?

I used three 24" lengths of (I think) M12 studding bolted through the bottom plate (bolts either side of the base plate.) I then used three M12 studs also bolted through the base plate to connect the top plate. (the nuts underneath the the base plate sitting tightly inside the pipe.

• What size bolts did you use?

M12 - You could use larger if required - there was a thread on bolts resonating (ringing) but I can't say I notice any issues using M12's on my pier

I'm looking to make up some drawings for my pier adapter in sketchup as I have a friend who is a fabricator who may be able to get it made up for me.

Thanks in advance for the information and once again thanks for a great thread. I'm looking forward to starting my own thread when I am able to sart my own build :)

Sound good. I used stock 180mm ali as that was what the fabricator had available. - Good luck with your build and don't forget to start a build thread on the section :)

Well almost a year on and time to do some maintenance and those little jobs that I never quite got round to.

First up was to apply a coat of a decent preservative. The creocote stuff simply doesn't hold up. I used Ronseal shed and fence preserve in a dark oak finish, and it's maintained that just creosoted look, but this time provided better water repellent. I also applied some to the preservative to the inside of the door to complete the task (something I should of done last year but the smell of the creocote put me off doing so.

Fitted a new set of handles on the door, more in keeping with the "shed" like appearance, and finally installed the guttering at the rear of the observatory, so now the run off won't run down the cladding !

The final task was to fit a bit of trim to each corner to finish off the cladding. Other than needing to repair one of the doors on the cupboards that completes the first planned maintenance schedules :blob10:

post-23388-133877753306_thumb.jpg

post-23388-133877753314_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very smart looking obs with that fresh coat of seal Malcolm :). I'm lazy and went with UPVC cladding on the outside of my obs. Not the greatest looking obs but I have not had to do a thing to it in 7 years. Actually tell a lie I jet washed it off last Summer to give it a clean.:)

I'm lazy and went with UPVC cladding on the outside of my obs. Not the greatest looking obs but I have not had to do a thing to it in 7 years. Actually tell a lie I jet washed it off last Summer to give it a clean.:)

Defo the ultimate low maintenance option then :) :)

I used that on our porch end wall but it was just too expensive for my obsy. Also, I've only found it in white, if I could have got it in green or brown I might have gone for it.

I wish someone had warned me just how long this thread was I have been sat here for over an hour reading from the start,it's a fascinating project from the beginning to the end, and a superb result you must be immensely proud of your efforts I expect it will have given encouragement to others on here to have a go.I wish I had the ability to try this,but fortunately I know my limitations.:):)

I wish someone had warned me just how long this thread was I have been sat here for over an hour reading from the start,it's a fascinating project from the beginning to the end, and a superb result you must be immensely proud of your efforts I expect it will have given encouragement to others on here to have a go.I wish I had the ability to try this,but fortunately I know my limitations.:):)

I too hope others have found the thread inspiring, and yes I am very proud of what I've achieved. - Thanks for the comments

• 3 months later...

Small addition to the warm room... I purchased two 57cm x 35cm sheets of red tint perspex from Trent Plastics and with the help of a couple of plastic bolts have fashioned a couple of filter screens for the two 24" monitors and the result is fantastic. I only paid £17.22 plus postage for the two sheets, purchasing from one of the leading astro suppliers would of cost £60 for two (mind you they only list sizes up to 22" and are aimed at laptops, so guess a "custom" size would cost a fair bit more).

For anyone wishing make a similar red screen filter I would strongly suggest contacting Trent Plastics http://www.trentplastics.co.uk/online/

Edited by malc-c

• 1 month later...

The interior door that I modified and fitted final gave up after just over a year of abuse from freezing rain, snow, and 30 degree C heat. I've been looking at building a new door for some time as I wanted to have a door with a window in so I could do work in the warm room during the day without the need to have the lights on. However I hadn't planned on doing this un-prepared

So a quick trip to B&Q to pick up some wood and soon after the garden looked like a building site again. I recycled some of the old door panels and used a spare clear acrylic panel that we kept for the greenhouse for the glazing. I will change this for glass shortly, but I needed to get the door completed today and there are no local glass merchants open Saturday afternoons !

The weather station showed it peaked at 29c this afternoon so progress was slow, but it's all finished now and looks good. In fact I wish I had originally done it this way in the first place. I'll post up some pictures later, probably when the glass is fitted

What's wrong with acrylic sheet? That's what I've used and it seems fine :) It's a 24" square greenhouse panel. I'm very pleased with my dividing door - glad i made it sliding :)