Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatory Build Underway

malc-c

Ah,.... it all becomes clear!

Just convinced her that I need to upgrade the mount to an HEQ5 :)

That's gonna cost me more than the price of the mount I know.... :)

Still, at least I've got somewhere reasonably warm and nice and dry to go now if we do fall out :( - thing is I've yet to install that futon bed Wayne mentioned, so the it will have to be the office chair ;)

Only kidding, we've hardly had a cross word in the 24 years we've been wed ! - Picked a goodun there ;)

Hi Daz

Thanks for the comments on my obsy build. The pipe is 160mm drainage pipe. You can get these from large builders merchants or from dedicated pipe suppliers. I picked mine up from a company who just happened to be fairly local, change out of £18 for a 3m length

Finally managed to start sorting out the garden and making it a lot less like a building site and more of a garden. Having spent a further £100 to repair my son's moped (new brake pads and disks !!) I convinced him to make a start on clearing out the old flower beds so I could lay some anti-weed barrier and put down the stone chippings. Here's the end result.

I'm looking at getting a skip in a few weeks so the old froggy sandpit will be going :) -

post-23388-133877637692_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Looks fabulous Malcom.

I bet you sometimes stand there and think - I build that? Yes, I built that! ;-))

Thanks guys,

I must admit I do.... I look back at this thread and all the other pictures I took and it still hasn't really sunk in that what started as a pipe dream three months ago actually turned into what I see before me everytime I look out of the window, and it was (mostly) all my own work.

Wayne, the tree has taken 10 years to go from 18" to it's current height, so I guess its not as fast growing as some, and no where near as quick growing as the hedge at the top of the garden :)

Gina, thanks. I've still got a few things to do, and there are a few things I want to change (like the main door)... but I am really pleased with the way it turned out. Just need lots of nice clear weekends now so I can have a lay in the morning after a nights observing :eek:

Gina, thanks. I've still got a few things to do, and there are a few things I want to change (like the main door)...
Yes, I see what you mean - it does rather let down an otherwise perfect looking shed.
but I am really pleased with the way it turned out. Just need lots of nice clear weekends now so I can have a lay in the morning after a nights observing :)
Absolutely :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Well 5 trips to the council tip and we now have our green house back and I can get into my shed ;) - Quite shocked at the cost of hiring even a small skip, so my son repaid some of his debt for the moped repairs by doing most of the fetching and carrying :hello2:

I've been working on the final touches to the observatory. It now has some of that low fatigue foam flooring tiles fitted to the observatory, and can't tell you how nice it feels underfoot.

I've also received some 24cm LED strips off e-bay for the red lighting. I'm waiting until it gets really dark to see how much red light is given off and to work out the best placement. The LEDs run off 12v and are quite bright, but I'm looking at making a switch / dimmer unit so I can dim them or switch each strip (there are 4) off to get the required level of illumination.

Cost was £3.35 for 2 with free delivery... and they are fully waterproof and a doddle to fit :rolleyes:

R2.jpg

Did I hear the mention of a green house ? Be careful where you position it Malcolm. A green house becomes a mini cooker under the sun during the day and the heat continues to radiate straight up at night ;)

Great to see the obsy all complete and the back yard looking like a garden again. You have done a great job and I'm sure it will make a cozy place to be during the cold winter months.

SPACEBOY

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't think I could squeeze this in the budget... but I've now got some new toys to play with :)

heq5.jpg

So that more or less completes the project.....

Just need those nice dark clear skies to play :icon_scratch:

• Like 1

WOW! Wonderful - I want wun! :icon_scratch::) What size is that monster? I hope to upgrade sometime but it'll need a quite a while to save up the dosh!

Must say, I love your pier adapter :hello2: Very nice looking setup.

Edited by Gina

Gina,

It's a 200P (8"), but on the HEQ5 it does seem to look a bit of beast !

Tony, I have a small USB issue to resolve (seems common with the HP machine I use) and then I can start the alignment process and then see what all this autoguiding fuss is about :)

Gina,

It's a 200P (8"), but on the HEQ5 it does seem to look a bit of beast !

Ah yes :) A bit smaller mount than mine, that's why it looks so big. I plan to get one of those scopes later when funds permit.
Tony, I have a small USB issue to resolve (seems common with the HP machine I use) and then I can start the alignment process and then see what all this autoguiding fuss is about :icon_scratch:
That will be interesting - I'm planning to do that later too. But I shall be trying a cheaper option than your guide scope - I have an M42 telephoto canera lens I used with my Pentax film SLR and the appropriate adapters.

• 2 months later...

One small update:

I became so frustrated trying to juggle all the apps around on the monitor, I thought I would treat myself to a little upgrade :D

Now I have no problem having CdC, APT, EQMod, and PHD open all at the same time :)

post-23388-133877685052_thumb.jpg

• Like 1