Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ebay - So what would you do?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to add to the thread, I have had a nice email from the owner of the eBay shop.

My question to the seller was is the item new (as in unopened)?

It looks like the item is a display item in the shop, if a purchase was made it would go back into it's original packing and sent to me.

They do sell 300P's unopened for £899.

Just thought I would pass it on, I will still ask FLO and RVO for their best prices tomorrow, and make a decision soon.

Thanks

Mark

I purchased my scope from an eBay shop called sbtc binoculars i think...yet the invoice was made out to T & L optical instruments...anyhow i read a lot of this shops feedback score and it was all good...delivery was very quick,i ordered on a friday night about 11pm and recieved the scope the following tuesday.

I was reading threads here on sgl before i signed up about the price increases in the skywatcher range so i ordered without hesitation because it was priced up as £242.....the next day i checked the ad again and they put the price up to £298!

I did it just in time by the look of it because now i think their selling them for £310!

im not keen on all this ebay-bashing. yes im sure there are a few who give the rest a bad name, but really its not as bad as people are saying. ive had no trouble at all on ebay throughout the years, from buying small things to lcd tvs. if the bloke has a phone number and a shop, thats plenty! some of these people are of an older generation i think, those who prefer to shop normally and pay full whack.

and customer service/aftercare? jeeze, if theyre gonna sell it 150 cheaper, they can be as blumming rude as they like - im the one getting the deal. and after for a scope... what in all honesty are they going to do? advise you on purchases? HELLO, cant you utilise this forum and others?

sorry to be abit full on but sometimes i really dont understand peoples notion that paying more = better.

tom

Tom,

I have to agree with you. I use eBay for just about everything. If you use common sense you will not get stung. Over the past five years I've bought stuff for the house, garden, my hobbies etc. In the past two years, up to February, I've saved a total of £1537.45 over the best high street prices for the 32 items purchased. (I know that sounds **** but is part of a long term consumer survey I'm involved in).

If it feels dodgy it is. If it doesn't, it probably isn't.

Cheers

Ian

im not keen on all this ebay-bashing. yes im sure there are a few who give the rest a bad name, but really its not as bad as people are saying. ive had no trouble at all on ebay throughout the years, from buying small things to lcd tvs. if the bloke has a phone number and a shop, thats plenty! some of these people are of an older generation i think, those who prefer to shop normally and pay full whack.

and customer service/aftercare? jeeze, if theyre gonna sell it 150 cheaper, they can be as blumming rude as they like - im the one getting the deal. and after for a scope... what in all honesty are they going to do? advise you on purchases? HELLO, cant you utilise this forum and others?

sorry to be abit full on but sometimes i really dont understand peoples notion that paying more = better.

tom

Agreed 100%

Could go into more detail, but dont wont to go off topic :)

It's entirely possible that the seller bought up a load of bankrupt stock (who's gone out of business lately?) and is still making a profit on it. It doesn't sound like the seller is disreputable or has any problems with misdescribing/overstating his goods.

On that basis, I'd go for it. If you don't there will be someone else who will.

Alternatively, you could wait a bit and get a second-hand one (such as the one that went on eBay a couple of weeks ago for £625).

Hi Russell,

I don't get down sarf much

I used to work with a bloke from Chesterfield who was very keen to denigrate my Cambridgeshire southerness. All in good humour of course.

That was right up to the point that was that I showed him the south of Derbyshire is further south than the north of Cambridgeshire....

As the south of Cambs is well south of Suffolk, you would therefore simply be traveling west! :)

Russell

I was under the impression that Flo price matched so although there is no 10% sgl discount for skywatcher products they do price match them. Give them a ring and find out.
Now that is interesting.

I'm always up for supporting the supporters of a forum, but I would be buying on-line and the 200P/HEQ5 Pro I'm after can be had for £969. £90 isn't a dealbreaker for me, but if you don't ask you don't get...

Russell

Archived