SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn help please

Starlight 1

Well I started last night 23-04-11 around 23.00 hours, When looking at Saturn useing my WS 250 PDS on a HEQ5 PRO I was using a 40mm and going down to a 4mm trying to get a bigger look but still can not get it any bigger than about 5mm in size so how is it done?:)

Seeing it is nice and clear with good detail .

Saturn is small visually - the images you see on the www and in magazines are much bigger than it appears in the eyepiece.

I find 180x - 240x the most magnification that can be used (even with my 10" scope) on Saturn while keeping what you are seeing sharp and contrasty, which is much preferable to a larger (more magnified) but fuzzier image.

With your scope, 6mm or 5mm eyepieces would be the most appropriate - the 4mm will be giving too much power.

The trick then is to keep observing and your eye will gradually start to pick out more detail as the seeing conditions come and go.

People are often surprised at the small scale of planetary images, visually.

Hi starlight, I too have observed Saturn at its best at the 180x mark, as John as said, too much power may not show much detail although the image will be large. Try sitting and waiting for the view to sharpen as the atmospheric distortion clears for the odd second, when that happens you do get a good view of it. :)

Not sure if the other experienced guys will agree with me - but the eyepeice makes a huge difference for me.

I have a 10mm that came with my scope & find it really hard to view through.

Then bought a 5mm Hyperion at SGL6, so far have used it everytime (sometimes with a 2 x barlow) - the visual is just amazing !

Thanks for your replies. Good suggestions, I just didn't realise that these planets are so small when looking through a telescope. I see no point in me trying to print pictures the size of a 5 pence piece just to say I have seen it, but I will carry on experimenting until I can create a picture about 4"

Les

Archived