Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 mount without tripod?

Gina

Since I'm going to mount my EQ6 and scopes on a pier I don't require a tripod. I have no intention of taking my EQ6 anywhere else. Does anyone know if you can get the mounts without tripods? I may send FLO an email after the holiday period to see if they can supply.

I know they have EQ6 mounts with a reduced function handset which, I gather, can be replaced with an adapter to allow full computer GOTO control with EQMOD software. Since computer control is what I'm planning to go for anyway, I could save quite a lot without the GOTO handset. Now if I could dump the tripod as well I should be able to save a lot more and afford the mount straight away :)

Its the EQ6 Syntrek that you will need...

Skywatcher - Skywatcher EQ6 Syntrek

and an EQDir adaptor....

Cables, Leads and Controllers - HitecAstro EQDIR adapter

The adaptor can be built quite easily if you know which end of a soldering iron gets hot..

The Synscan Handset adds £112 if bought with the mount or £177 if bought seperately...

Billy...

Thanks :) Yes, it was the Syntrek I had in mind. I've seen somewhere how to make up a cable to connect it to a computer.

I'm just wondering what advantage buying the Synscan handset might be - I guess it would enable one to get going straight away without PC but I don't image getting PC control working would be too difficult and £112 (less a few bits for the cable) saving is quite significant.

Gina, depending on the pier you buy, some of them make use of components of the tripod. The Altair/SkyShed pier, for example, uses the threaded rod from the middle of the tripod, as well as the peg from the top (although you can buy the peg from them, I've never seen mine!).

That would make the tripod difficult to sell on, as it would be incomplete and not useable. I'd suggest that, if you have the space, then the tripod isn't a bad thing to have. Unless you're absolutely certain where you want to locate your pier, a tripod would allow you to experiment. Also, if you ever wish to sell the EQ6 in the future, a tripod would possibly increase the chance of selling the mount.

Ok I have an NEQ6 Pro Synscan.

I bought the SynScan version over the SynTrek because it's easy to use (I used it at SGL6 rather than the laptop). I do move the mount and tripod, so the SynScan makes it less hassle for grab'n'go (not that you're doing this).

Another aspect of going with SynTrek is it will work without a computer - just not with goto. If you just use the computer then you will always have to have a computer attached... not a problem however with the demise of my laptop recently I'm now stuck without the ability to image but I can still go out with the SynScan handset and observe using it's goto.

I take the point about the tripod and been thinking. I've decided that a tripod would not be such a bad idea. I could use it to set up the mount and check out computer control indoors in comfort. If I buy the SynTrek version I can save enough over the SynScan to be able to buy the mount now.

Quick question: I have an EQ5 synscan, and like Gina have thought about acquiring just the mount (HEQ5 in my case). Can the EQ5 goto handset be used with the HEQ5 syntrek unit. The description states that the "only" difference between the Syntrek and Synscan on these mounts is the hand controller, but would of thought that it wouldn't make commercial sense to make lots of different sysnscan handsets

Quick question: I have an EQ5 synscan, and like Gina have thought about acquiring just the mount (HEQ5 in my case). Can the EQ5 goto handset be used with the HEQ5 syntrek unit. The description states that the "only" difference between the Syntrek and Synscan on these mounts is the hand controller, but would of thought that it wouldn't make commercial sense to make lots of different sysnscan handsets

I posed this question to RVO and have just had a reply from Adam.

The HEQ5 SynTrek should work OK with a v3 handset that came with the EQ5 SynScan.

So this gives me the option of getting an HEQ5 pro SynTrek mount for £597 and using my SynScan V3 handset with both the EQ5 when out in the field and the HEQ5 when it's in the observatory (when that finally gets built)

I've measured up my 200p to get some idea of how much clearance and lost horizon I would get if I had the mount at the current height. (Sketch attached)

Allowing for the additional height of whatever pier plate I make / purchase, I guess I could go for a pier height of 36" which would give me about a foot clearance for the roof

post-23388-133877596025_thumb.jpg

NEQ6 Pro SynScan has arrived (just after 9 this morning) which was a lovely surprise. I only ordered it yesterday afternoon :eek: What massive beasty, very impressive! Looks great. Now, where's the best place to get a midget crane :)

I went for the SynScan having checked my bank balance and thinking it will be some time before I get computer control set up so I could do with the GoTo feature. I was also thinking it possible that I just might want to take it somewhere away from computer later on - although having experienced the weight of it, that seems unlikely.

A later date I'm afraid - the mount has almost cleaned me out! Still I should be future-proofed as far as mount goes :) Hopefully a good investment.

I think my 130 Newt should keep me going for a while - the mount supplied with it was definitely a limiting factor. The other problem was focussing, particularly on that mount - scope just wouldn't stay still. I'm going to make a motor drive for the focus. I have the parts (I think) so that's my next project (after setting up the new mount). I'll see what it's like on the EQ6.

Archived