SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which Solar 'scope?

I recently got use of a small 'fract with a white light filter. I have enjoyed looking at sunspots through this and doing a little bit of solar imaging with a Canon500D. I also have access to a PST, which gives a different dimension to solar observing.

But if i want to narrowband (Ha of CaK) image, what 'scope and accessories do I need? There only seems to be Coronado or Lunt solarscopes out there. What would be best for my first forays into this type of imaging?

Thanks for any advice

Tom

I looked into Coronado's a few weeks back - just the beginner solar scopes - and was put off by a rust problem. This was a second hand one but the problem was on several batches of them over a few years.

So when I've enough cash to look seriously I will most likely only look at Lunts. As for spec I've no idea. But if you do go PST then do a lot of research so you don't get an "iffy" one :)

I bought a Lunt LS60/B1200 and am entirely delighted by it. I've no pretensions as to being a competent fast frame imager but I'm able to do simple stuff like this OK with a second hand DMK21:

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/The-Sun/JAN-22-LAST-colourWEB/1165136974_29TcP-L.jpg

The scope seems very adequately made and has proved popular with guests.

I don't doubt the other makes are pretty comparable though.

Olly

Yeah, they're all much of a muchness in so far as you pay much more for a bit better performance. There's none of them perfect but they're all pretty reasonable. Coronado/Meade PST or Lunt LS35 is a great "budget" introduction but the 60mm scopes are serious pieces of kit that should give many years service.

Don't buy a second hand solar scope or filter set without trying beforehand or a solid "return for full refund" guarantee. The etalons are very sensitive to mechanical shock, and having a bumped one recontacted is an expensive repair. And the older Coronado scopes may have "rusting" issues.

Thanks guys, plenty food for thought. A solarmax 60 looks best (or the Lunt equivalent), but the price for one of these is scary - I hear what people say about 2nd hand solarscopes, I had heard there were problems sometimes.

Tom

The early blue lens PST's went "rusty", both of mine did!, mid term ones had "gold" coatings and the latest ones have blue coatings again so best to check the seial numbers. If you could find a rusty PST cheaply enough it would be the basis for a PST "mod" which could match or outperform the other options mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

This is something I am now seriously looking into getting, with the addition of kid no.2 in June my viewing hours are going to be cut right down I would imagine and daytime viewing would be better suited for me. Plus the Sun fascinates me.

I would most likely get one of the entry level scopes as i don't want to spend 1,000+ quid, although I'd love to.

I guess the other big question is Ha or CaK? I do like the idea of something a bit different.

At this point I'm not sure, I just need spend a bit of time looking further into it and convince myself.

IMHO I'd go with the Ha option....

Yes, for visual, it's H-a for me. Looked thru a PST Cal-k, and

had to keep checking if I'd left the lens cap on :) although I

know some can see something. Seen some great Cal-k images

though.

Regards, Ed.

I would probably lean towards Ha too, it's just having the extra option there means something else to be considered. I suppose one could always get one later down the track if desired.

• 2 weeks later...

It would work but not being an equatorial mount there will be some field rotation. Not a show stopper if your using Registax to process the AVI.

An EQ2 with an RA drive would also do the job very well.

Archived