Narrowband

Advice on first telescope

Brian, the angle gauge is £33.90 and can be found by searching for "wixey" on Ebay. Basicaly you sit it on your tube using its built in magnets and a digital read out tells you the Altitude in degrees that your scope is pointing. By using a PC program, available for free, called "Stellarium" you can find the Altitude at any given time for Galaxies, Nebula, Planets and Stars. Move the scope to the correct angle and hopefully the object will be in your field of view. To get the scope pointing in nthe correct Azimuth direction (data also on PC program) you stick a laminated degree circle on the base of the Dob, line it up at zero (North) when you start and move scope to the required Azimuth bearing. This is a simplified description and I am not an expert as I have only had the scope 10 days ! There are others on this forum who know alot more about this than me and they have all been very helpful to me. What I was trying to get across in my previuos post is that once you have the Dob they are easy to modify to make life easier (easier than an Eq mount). Get the 8" from Steve @ FLO and you will have a quality scope with bags of potential for a bargain price.

Good luck,

Onslowe

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK it looks like I need to convince the wife to let me spend the extra few quid fingers crossed.

Don't forget, if you've had enough of it a year from now you can always flog it for a decent price,

probably on this forum. That would work out much cheaper than renting a scope for a year.

Not sure if anybody still does this though.

Ok you've spent a few quid but you've gained a few experiences too.

I'd imagine an 8" mirror comes with a few oohs and ahhs built into it.

Archived