Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New neighbours adding to LP

MrsR

I've had this problem, and still do. Most people, even friendly ones, will

have no idea their lights could cause a nuisance. They could have heard

of light pollution, but not make the connection with their own lights.

Your options (apart from observing elsewhere) are :-

The first is to explain gently that your hobby is astronomy, and it's tough

to see dim objects through a telescope with lots of lights around. If the lights

are coming through windows, drawing the curtains will help. You could perhaps

invite them round to look through your scope, Saturn is well placed at the moment,

always a good target for those new to looking at the night sky.

Next up, is screens to block light. I use a tarpaulin pegged to my wifes greenhouse

to block a troublesome light. Lots of ways to do this, according to circumstances.

You could observe objects least affected by light pollution, the Moon, planets,

double stars, or the Sun by day of course.

Good luck ! Ed.

Yep, me to, they moved in about 3 weeks ago and still haven't put any curtains up, the light from there back bedroom is bleeding right into my back garden every night :), at least they've moved the empty Coke bottle that's been there for 2 weeks, I asked the wife if she had any old set of curtains so I could post them to them , throw them a bone so to speak.

a unique offering from the other half to resolve the issue: aim scope to peer in windows as it should at least get them to close the curtains!

or may be get you arrested...

I'd go for:

- the nice approach to explain in person or a little note

- particularly like the idea of an invite to come view Saturn

- a gift of curtains

- if all else fails talk to environmental people at the council as poor lighting disturbing a hobby is seen as legitimate nuisance

The problem is this is a private property that's rented out, so over the last 10 years we've had some right numpties in there, think I'll go with the latter, saying that next door is totally peed off already because there sat on the window having a fag and starring though her window. Think I'll have a word with the landlord.

Rant over, soory peeps :)

I've had this problem, and still do. Most people, even friendly ones, will

have no idea their lights could cause a nuisance. They could have heard

of light pollution, but not make the connection with their own lights.

Your options (apart from observing elsewhere) are :-

The first is to explain gently that your hobby is astronomy, and it's tough

to see dim objects through a telescope with lots of lights around. If the lights

are coming through windows, drawing the curtains will help. You could perhaps

invite them round to look through your scope, Saturn is well placed at the moment,

always a good target for those new to looking at the night sky.

Next up, is screens to block light. I use a tarpaulin pegged to my wifes greenhouse

to block a troublesome light. Lots of ways to do this, according to circumstances.

You could observe objects least affected by light pollution, the Moon, planets,

double stars, or the Sun by day of course.

Good luck ! Ed.

I totally agree with your every word Ed, all of my direct neighbours are very considerate, and i have spoken to them to a degree about Astronomy and the effects of LP, and they really find the subject interesting, when i set my kit up i still get a wow factor from them, and the usual questions about the telescope. But i think these lot are a lost cause mate.

Both of my neighbours came round the other day. Their drains were both blocked so could they check mine. Mine was clear so the blockage was in one of their gardens but it got us talking.

I mentioned their security lights, which aren't bad because they don't shine at me but I do get the sideways glare. Neighbour number 2 says, 'wow, I'm into astronomy too', he has a 4" reflector. We've lived in the houses for 17 years!

Now the outside lights have little side shields added. Result.

I'm fairly lucky, in that most of the people two to three houses either side of us are either elderly and thus retire between 9 and 10 pm, or start work really early and also retire around 10pm. So I don't suffer from room lights spoiling my night vision.

One or two house three doors up does have a security light, but I've hardly notice it ever coming on.

I think it's pot luck with neighbours - when all the lights are off, I rejoice and enjoy the dark - but like last night, when the neighbour's landing and bathroom lights were spilling into my garden and were showing no signs of being extinguished, I packed up and went in. I personally feel that I have no right to challenge someone's right to have their interior lights on and choose their curtains for them; but exterior lighting is another matter. One has to try and keep the peace as much as possible, however immensely frustrating that is.

I've given up on anything other than planets and the moon now thanks to my neighbours new habit of leaving an external light on from dark until midnight every day. Sometimes one of them forgets and switches it off for a bit but it soon goes back on and there's only one place I can stand in the garden where it doesn't shine straight into my face. I'd love to mention it but as I've spent the last five years going around to ask them to stop their son kicking a ball against my house I'm not sure our relationship is that warm. [removed word].

Archived