Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Afternoon all,

I have £150 to spend on my first telescope, what should I get? I really like the Skywatcher 130P, but it is just out of budget, but is it worth the extra £30 or so? are there any other scopes out there that will initially be good for looking at planets, but also deep space and then astrophotography. Thanks in advance.

Marc

Hi Marc,

Many here have 130P scopes, if you search the threads in the beginner's section, you will see many nice first light reports.

All this said, it doesn't really have the aperture or accuracy needed for serious astrophotography. To really get into astrophotography, you must first have very solid command of the basics such as telescope operation and observing skills. It helps no end taking photos when you a) know where your subject will be at any given time, and :BangHead: you know what your subject is supposed to look like in the first place.

Most of the folks who are serious about it spend loads on mounts, cameras, and optics! :) I would seriously recommend that you enjoy your scope for awhile and learn a bit more about the hobby before you try the photographic end of things. If you are really serious about it, I strongly recommend a visit to the local astro club! :eek: There are loads of people there who are already doing this sort of thing and most of them would be happy to talk your ear off and show off their kit to you. If you talk nice to them, they might even invite you to come along to an imaging session on one of the club's observing nights so you can see first hand what is involved.

Have fun with your new scope first! :icon_salut: The sky isn't going anywhere and you will have plenty of time to take photos as your skills grow with your new scope.

Dan

I would save the extra £30 if I were you and get the 130p.

Alternatively FLO are selling the Skywatcher Explorer 130 for £157, it's similar to the 130P but has a higher F ratio which means you will see things closer in.

I would save the extra £30 if I were you and get the 130p.

Alternatively FLO are selling the Skywatcher Explorer 130 for £157, it's similar to the 130P but has a higher F ratio which means you will see things closer in.

and the mirror is not parabolic, its spherical

Thanks for the advice. I have read a few threads recommending the 130P Heritage Dob, so I've been looking into that one. I really would like the 130P Explorer but I'm struggling to find it under £180 w/ p&p.

Archived