Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just Joined - bonjour a tous!

Jacksonsinfrance

Hi, have just joined and am looking forward to some real advice from those in the know. We live in France and are all interested in the stars, but since The Prof Cox has been on TV my soon to be 10 year old son is demanding a telescope (hoorah, not a Nintendo or wii game!). Any advice would be really helpful. Thank you. Liane.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Liane and welcome to SGL :)

Once you have decided on a budget, and what you'd want to do with a scope (eg look at planets, deep sky objects, imaging, etc), and set some limits on size, weight, protability, etc, then open a thread in the Beginners Help section and someone will be along to help soon. Enjoy the forum :eek:

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with all of the above comments about dobs and budgets. If you can manage to get hold of some binoculars too, that is a great way to begin learning your way around the sky. they do not need to be anything too big. I started out with a pair of ancient 8X30s and was amazed at what they showed me.

Liz

Hi there, Welcome to SGL :)

You don't even need to wait for the binos or 'scope to arrive. Naked eye astronomy is just as fascinating and would be fun to do together.

A Planishere is a great help for learning the constellations and finding your way round the night sky. Also for seeing what's visible when and where.

Besides being nearly indestructible :eek:

Hello and welcome,

shop around cos there are some real bargains about and make sure you get one that will keep you happy for a long time, usually bigger is better but depends on your budget.

Adamski

hello Ed aka orion the hunter, i have a very good friend close to you, Beziers, I hope to visit him this summer. I'm sure he'd be into astro stuff too. I will try to contact you via the forum closer to the time and maybe you could share you scope and knowledge to a beginner like myself.

cheers

Adamski

hello Ed aka orion the hunter, i have a very good friend close to you, Beziers, I hope to visit him this summer. I'm sure he'd be into astro stuff too. I will try to contact you via the forum closer to the time and maybe you could share you scope and knowledge to a beginner like myself.

cheers

Adamski

No probs! PM me.

Hi Liane welcome to SGL, your budget and what you want out of a scope will be two major factors in reaching a decision, before committing to a telescope many have opted for a pair of bino`s, together with the use of Stellarium ( a free down load star map system ) to help learn the night sky, within a short space of time and help from the forum you will be in a better position to make that choice :)

John

Archived