Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Adiitional catalogs for Carte du Ciel

lukebl

Hi,

Can anyone direct me to some additional star catalogs for CdC?

I currently have SKY2000 and Thycho 2 catalogs installed, which go down to about magnitude 17.5, but I'm now CCD imaging and picking up stars of 18/19th mag and would like to have a chart showing these.

I did find a link to some sort of datatbase, but it was pretty unintelligible and simply a file list of hundreds of files to download and no indication of which ones I needed or how to install them.

I have quite a few catalogs installed down to about Mag 20.0 and the PGC's etc... most of the zips will have info in a txt file on where in the CDC structure the files need to go etc...

heres whats in my program files/ciel/cat directory at the moment.... about 4.5 GB worth...

CDC.jpg

Thanks, Psychobilly.

But which are the best catalogs for faint objects, and where can I download them? I've done a google search, but the results are confusing!

Sorry Luke been busy in the garden...

I got most of mine by following links of the CDC main site...

I'll fire it up now and have a look...

These are the archive and Zip files I have downloaded and installed...

CDC%20Addons%20and%20Catalogs.jpg

Just having a random click around I am down to mag18.0

Peter...

Now it's this sort of file set that I'd install a torrent app for then trickle data over summer the result would be chunks becoming available over time.

I looked into the main set of catalogues - the current main set is about 200GB!

I'm properly unlimited and pay for the privelage ... :)

The FTP server the othert end only allows one annonymous FTP connection from each IP address (external one) so while i was kept awake last nigth by the noisy desktop I am now doing the downloads on the Netbook with the screen off which runs fanless...

Currently coming down at a lowly 9.5KB/s so each of the larger Cat files is taking about 12-14 hours...

Should have most of them done by the time I go back to work...

Might pop in the office tomorrow and kick of the larger downloads... that will get me round the single connection limit...

Peter...

Well the office PC and my Netbook have been on this 24 Hrs a day for the last week with the alarm going off when a section is finished downloading so I can start the next...

The downloads have been crawling along at 9.75KB/Sec but I only have a few more sections (the smaller ones) left to do so should be finished tomorrow with a sleepless night tonight...

Just to give you some idea of the data set... the Milky way Around NGC7000/IC5050...

HowManyStarsUSNOA2.jpg

All finished archived to a couple of different HDD's and DL DVD and BD...

Archived