Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 - Polar scope - bubble position

Quick question regarding the "default" position of the circle on the ring in the polar scope when screwed into the mount.

I have the weight bar in line with the N leg on the tripod and have the RA dial set at 0. The polar scope is screwed in as tight as I can get it by hand. Looking through the polar scope the circle in which you place Polaris is in the position shown -

I was wondering if this is correct... shouldn't the circle be at the 6 O'clock position rather than 5:28 ?

post-23388-133877567408_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't screw it in too tight - there will be a time you want to remove it.

To polar align - take the scope and weights off. Then turn the RA axis till you can see polaris in the little circle. Adjust in alt/az until you're there with Cas and Uma in their corresponding positions in the sky (same place as in the polar scope). Far as I know that's it - you're polar aligned :)

Thanks, my line of thinking was that in a recent post it was mentioned using the goto handset to set the alignment, in that it will give the position of Polaris on its "orbit" around the NCP as a time in 12hr format. If this is the case then it would only work if the originating position (such as a transit) was correctly set in the first place would it not ?

Are you saying that it matters not that the time factor has to be taken into account.. I mean lets say the correct position for Polaris is with the circle at the 9.00 O'clock position, but you have it set at 3.00 O'clock that would put the NCP cross about a degree and a half off the true NCP ?? But I guess that would invert the constellation etching on the polar scope...

I may be wrong but I use a prog called polar finder (Polar 204) which gives you the pole star position for a specific time of day when you are observing. You then turn your RA till the polar ring in your polar scope is at that position and then adjust your Az and Alt adjustment screws till polaris is inside the ring and that is you polar aligned.

Please correct me if I am wrong

I have an app for my iPhone that uses the GPS to determine ones current time/position and shows you where to put Polaris on the circle. Seems to work great (make sure you select `inverted` mode)..

I may be wrong but I use a prog called polar finder (Polar 204) which gives you the pole star position for a specific time of day when you are observing. You then turn your RA till the polar ring in your polar scope is at that position and then adjust your Az and Alt adjustment screws till polaris is inside the ring and that is you polar aligned.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Which is exactly the same way as using the "Clock" on the goto handset which I used last night to good effect :)

Thanks guys for your input

Archived