Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

evostar 150

nightfisher

Is yours the shorter or longer version of the 150? I found the longer one possibe but not ideal on the old EQ3-4, I think it was called. I didn't buy it new so I'm not sure what the mount officially was. I put it on a welded pier, which helped. Pretty good scope in my view and these days they are as cheap as chips on the used market.

Olly

thanks olly, i have the short 150 but sort of like the idea of the long evostar 150!

the st 150 sits ok on the eq5 a bit heavy up front, but the evo is a fair bit longer, and i cant afford a heavy mount to go with it

thanks olly, i have the short 150 but sort of like the idea of the long evostar 150!

the st 150 sits ok on the eq5 a bit heavy up front, but the evo is a fair bit longer, and i cant afford a heavy mount to go with it

Have used the F8 on a CG5 and was ok for visual so long as it wasn't windy.

It was a bit uncomfortable when looking up high but you could fit an extender to increase the mounting height.

Most pictures of the F8 are balanced towards the front of the lens but I found that I had to sit the OTA further backwards.

You can counter balance the focuser end with a wrap around weight if needs be.

Paul

A couple of years ago at the Kelling spring SP, a guy a few pitches down had an Evostar 150 on an EQ5. It got a bit windy and blew the setup over, no damage to the scope (I think) but the mount head sheared right off from the legs!

Tony..

I've had a couple of the Evostar 150 F/8's (the F/5 version is called the Startravel 150) and found a Celestron CG5 with it's 2" steel tube legged tripod, just about OK for visual use.

The short tube of the Startravel 150 should make it more stable on the EQ5.

Thats a nice setup Doley68

I can remember when the Bresser 150mm F/8 first came out (it preceded all other brandings of that scope in the UK) - there was a degree of disbelief around that any sort of decent performance could be delivered by a chinese made 6" F/8 achromatic refractor retailing (as it did back then) at under £1,000.

Oh how things have moved on since then !.

Doley, thats right nice refractor set up, very tidy

Thanks nightfisher. I bought the Bresser(Synta) new about 10 years ago. They get quite a lot of stick but I have always been happy with it. The CA isn't as bad as it is made out and it has good light grasp for DSOs. I Might treat it to a posh focusser soon but the stock one isn't to bad on mine. Wouldn't mind playing with a chromacor either!

....wouldn't mind playing with a cromacor either!

If you can find one at a reasonable price then give it a go - the effects are pretty impressive although it has to be said that a fair amount of fiddling is needed to get them setup correctly.

Thats a nice setup Doley68

I can remember when the Bresser 150mm F/8 first came out (it preceded all other brandings of that scope in the UK) - there was a degree of disbelief around that any sort of decent performance could be delivered by a chinese made 6" F/8 achromatic refractor retailing (as it did back then) at under £1,000.

Oh how things have moved on since then !.

Thanks John.

I have read your piece about your chromacor adventures. I may be scanning the classifieds!

I remember that when I bought the scope the salesman said he could get a chromacor for me "by the end of the week". As you say, how things have moved on since then!

...I remember that when I bought the scope the salesman said he could get a chromacor for me "by the end of the week". As you say, how things have moved on since then!

In 2003 they cost $550 in the USA and I suppose the UK price would be something not far off that in £'s.

Hardly a "low cost" accessory back then :)

If you can find one at a reasonable price then give it a go - the effects are pretty impressive although it has to be said that a fair amount of fiddling is needed to get them setup correctly.

I used to have a book on optics (I forget which) and the examples of theoretical refractor performance didn't go as low as a f8 for 6" scopes as it wasn't considered a viable specification for an achromat. Now we have 6" f5s!!!!

I have a Bresser R152s refractor, it's F5 but pretty heavy and that sits OK on a CG5 so I think yours will.

im with Doc on this one

if you want more apperture than the TAL, this and a good barlow me thinks.

i do believe it got top spot in S@N group test too

Hi Jules, well I can speak from experience now, last night we fitted Docs Bresser 150ST onto my HEQ5 (similar size and capacity to the CG5) and it managed it OK.

It looked a little undermounted but wobbles settled down in a reasonable time.

The ST150s look big but they are surprisingly lightweight for the size so these size mounts can cope quite well.

Philj

cheers phil, i have mounted the st150 on my eq5, thats fine, i wondered about going the whole hog with the evostar 150, which is a fair bit longer and a bit more payload, but have changed mind now, still thinking of getting rid of some scopes and not forgot your interest

I have an Evostar 150 mounted on the EQ5 and find it fine for visual use. Haven't ever worried about it blowing over etc. Though I must say that at SGL6 on the windy Friday night I didn't set up :)

I also find the mount adequate for webcam imaging with 1/10 second exposures.

I still think you need to give an 8" reflector a go. You would only need the OTA as it would be OK for visual on your EQ5. I know your obviously a refractor kind a guy but it's the views you get from the sky at the end of the day and there's no achromatic refractor that will compete with an 8" reflector. I know they can be a bit of a pain in the butt having to keep rotating the OTA to look through the focuser and often require collimation etc, etc. But no problems with false colour, pound for pound more aperture than you get from an achromatic and no more getting on your hands and knees to look at objects directly over head.

Hi.

This is what I sit my f8 on. No wobbles with that!!:eek:

Tried it on smaller mounts but was never really stable.

Bit of hammerite black and brass bolts on the mount and it'll look all steam punk :)

Archived