Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

CKemu

What to do on a "Clear Night"

Well the BBC's weather team need a few lessons regarding what "clear" means. So much moisture in the atmosphere, that even our beloved Vega wasn't all that impressive to behold tonight.

Given up now, and retiring for the evening with some hot chocolate and a Hobnob or ten.

Spent this evening practicing my first ever proper attempt at Drift Alignment. Good grief it's frustrating, well actually it's not so bad, but despite the benefits of Google and the internet, when instructions are wrong, they can really lead to annoyance, frustration and the exclamation "Why is the drift getting worse?! ARGHH"

Despite some headaches, and reworking of internet based advice to fit my particular setup, I managed to get Vega tracking for 10 minutes without visible drift using a 12mm etched EP. Success!

Well I guess "clear" nights like this have their benefits, anyone else suffering the haze and ended up doing something vaguely scope related.

I've been fidning this recently. BBC site says clear skies and when the time comes along to go out there seems to be a faint orange haze all over, I can't see any stars at all. Is that what it is then? Moisture? It only seems to be in the past couple of weeks that it's been all "hazey" round here, I really hope it doesn't last all summer.

As for doing something vaguely scope related I was watching the IMAX Hubble film. I'm not sure it's on sale in the UK but you can get it via other means *ahem*.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/915tgypwCVL._AA1500_.jpg

Edited by Geo

For what's its worth, I have given up on the Met Office predictions which are pure fiction half the time. I now only ever use Sat24, as at least it gives you a satellite image of what's on the way with a possible infra red overlay to test for thin cloud.

James

Thick fog with us, had a drive inland thinking we might get above it on some higher ground, no chance.

It is dust in the air in the midlands that are the problem. We have not had a good spell of rain for 2 months, until is rains this stuff will stay in the air and get worse!

I wondered why my hay fever was playing up more than it usually does. Hang in there though, the Midlands is in for a bit of rain tomorrow or sat.

Nice weather during the day and early evening. Haven't bothered after its gone dark as its too late for the children at about 10:30pm to view the moon.

I see your from Dover Stardad, is the Louis still going strong?

If the haze is not to thick i tend to go visual and look at double stars,open and globular clusters, did manage to get a look at the three galaxies in leo between Regulas and Denebola, M105,NGC3384 and NGC3389, managed to see all three core's and a tiny bit of structure, but that was with a 2 minute CCD image un-guided to break though the thin haze before i got clouded out.

It was shocking wasn't it. How can all the weather websites predict 100% clear skies all night and then sat24 shows clear high level thin cloud. I also had fog here and there, only managed rubbish views of Saturn.

I got 30 mins of Saturn but could see nothing else. Then the cloud rolled over and the "clear" sky became a total washout.