SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade Kit for EQ5

Jiggy 67

Is it mandatory to use the protective case from the GOTO kit?

I mean did you try to put back the original protective box over the instaled motor?

The GOTO case has a "funny" shape and looks out of place designwise (call me a design nut :))

I think it must be mandatory - the GOTO case has the motor connection sockets integral with it. And I like its funky shape !!!

Update,

The problem with the power I discovered was in the adapter - it needs to be the correct amps as well as volts, mine was from my other goto mount so I thought it would be ok, but the amps have to be 'at least 2A / 2000mA' to run properly.

Future reference kind of thing.

Thanks again for the instructions and other useful posts on this thread. :)

Regards

Aenima

PS. after fitting synscan upgrade I tried usikng the mount normally, ie. undoing clutches and manually slewing and it worked ok as long as you dont mind losing alignment. (depends what is meant by 'guiding' as the plastic case covers the slo-mo RA knob control)

Edited by Aenima

The problem with the power I discovered was in the adapter - it needs to be the correct amps as well as volts, mine was from my other goto mount so I thought it would be ok, but the amps have to be 'at least 2A / 2000mA' to run properly.

Nice to get a solution to that puzzler, Aenima. I intend to use mine solely on a Powertank - my observing area is a long way from a mains socket - so should be OK with that.

• Like 1

Not quite right on the EQ3-2 upgrade bit. The two upgrades are different, they are supplied in identical boxes with a seal on the lid stating the mount upgrade version. You are right about getting the gears the right way round though, there has been a number of threads from EQ5 owners having problems after the upgrade. If you put the gear wheels on in the incorrect order/orientation the mount gearing is affected and the mount will slew too far,

Peter

Hi folks :)

After reading through I noticed the cogs were supposed to be a certain way, but after fitting I lost track of the correct (ie, so it works) position for the cogs - I think its unclear in the instruction leaflet which way to put them so I missed which way was 'correct' to begin with... :huh: doh.

Which way - for eq5 ?

Regards

Aenima

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I just installed my skywatcher EQ5 Goto Synscan upgrade kit but when i press the arrows on the hand controllers, the motors dont seem to move as they should. It's almost as if something is keeping them from moving as they should. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello all,

I just installed my skywatcher EQ5 Goto Synscan upgrade kit but when i press the arrows on the hand controllers, the motors dont seem to move as they should. It's almost as if something is keeping them from moving as they should. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

Sorry to hear ur trouble, if u post a picture or describe the situation it'll help people to give advice - first of all have you followed the how-to that is posted earlier in this thread? and if so, did u get the cogs the right way?

I noticed a problem with getting the amps and volts exactly right else it doesnt work properly, what is your power source?

Hope u find a solution soon.

Regards

Aenima

Hello all,

This is a commonly asked question. Are you sure that the motors aren't moving. The default rate for the handset is the slowest setting. At this rate you will struggle to see the motors and the mount move. Press the rate button (no.2 i think), then press a numbered key between 1 and 9, the higher the faster the rate of slew and then press enter quickly, if you're to slow, pressing enter, the handset will revert to default.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks to all of the information posted here, I decided to upgrade my Vixen GP mount withe the same motors. The only difference is that I have designed my own EQMOD compatible stepper controller, and really only need the motor/bracket/gears assembly. It seems like a big waste of $$$ to get the rest of the components that make up the upgrade kit.

Does anyone know of a source for these?

I apologize if this is a little off-topic.

RK

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Another noob question...   :)

My Longitude is given as -0:08:26

My Latitude is 50:57:32

How do I enter it into the handset in 000:00      00:00 format? 
Been practicing setting the mount up and already I see that the mount is slewing the wrong way so I'm guessing that I'm entering that info wrong.

• 2 weeks later...