Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laser Collimator

I'm on the verge of buying a SkyWatcher 200P and HEQ5 syntrek mount. Whislt I wait for stock to be shipped to the UK I thought that it would be a good idea to start buying some useful accessories, especially a power tank and a laser collimator. I have had a look at power tanks and will probably buy a power tank from Maplin but I'm unsure about the laser collimator. I've been onto youtube to see how to collimate the scope and how to use the collimator but does anyone have any suggestions for a good value collimator.

Many thanks

Ed

Nice scope Ed, with regards to a collimation tool, i see that this scope is and F5 from the spec on FLO, so quiet fast, are you using it for imaging, or just visual,, if your doing visual you might as well get a Cheshire collimator rather than a laser, cheaper and it doesn't have to be spot on for visual, I do confess i use a laser on my F4, but i Ialso image so it needs to be on the mark, I also have a Cheshire as well just to double check that the Laser Collimator itself is collimated as they can go out of alignment.

I use a LaserMate Deluxe from Orion USA - you can get one on Amazon and see it HERE. I like this a lot as I can see the target from the rear end of the scope while I fiddle with the collimation knobs. This means a much easier one-man job.

I had a different model (very simple early model) and it was a lot of 'tweak the knob at the back - then check the alignment from the front" Back and forth over and over again. The new model is a HUGE improvement and is very accurate.

Dan

I would second the Hotech but its not cheap. Lasers are great but of course that is assuming tat they are collimated themselves.:)

Power wise I would go for a leisure battery as it will maintain supply in very cold weather, will provide more than you need to slew around the sky all night if your using scope for visual. If imaging is your thing, then of course the extra power is useful in powering up a laptop and various other imaging 'toys'. My theory is that as you are not entirely sure what your needs might be, it is wise to future proof yourself for the longer term. I take my battery on an evening or camping and is plenty to run an NEQ6 with a large scope on it, dew heaters and laptop.

Clear skies

James

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. With regard to my intentions, I plan to initially use the scope for visual viewing however my goal is to move onto astrophotography. Bearing this in mind I'm trying to future proof my equipment to some degree so that I don't have to buy new equipment. I've already made the decision (with hekp from you guys) to go for the HEQ5 rather than the EQ5.

I will probably gor for the 6 in 1 power tank as I can see a lot of uses for it. As you say it will be very useful for general camping and in the event that i need to jump start my car (which i have to say has happened twice in the past few months even though it's less than years old)

Anyway, thankyou for the suggestions for the collimation devices, i'll check those out now.

Ed

this scope is and F5 from the spec on FLO, so quiet fast

I think it's wrong on FLO.

The 200 P is F10

The PDS is F5

But I don't think the choice in collimnator wil be any different.

Assuming your laser CAN be collimated (mine just has three allen screws for this purpose) then doing so is a total non issue. You make V blocks by the simple technique of banging in two pairs of nails on which you then roll the laser while its beam is pointing at a distant wall. If in rolling it the beam describes a circle, it is out. Just tweak it till the beam does not move as you roll the laser on the 'V nails!!'

Olly

Archived