SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Did i see Titan?

Madhatter

Last night it was nice and clear here so i decided too go and see what i could see, my current telescope is only a 800-80 cheapy so im limited but saturn is viewable and really cool to look at. but last night i saw what appeared too be just a pinpoint size spot of light next too saturn, microscopic and quite faint..but im sure i saw something.

Could this be my eyes playing tricks on me or is it possible that was titan?. I ask about my eyes playing tricks on me because iv noticed when i look at the stars i often see out the corner of my eye very quick movments of faint light in the sky and im sure that must be my eyes playing tricks on me?, lol.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Titan is usually easy to see in a modest telescope, as a starlike dot of light,

close to, or fairly close to Saturn. About the only confusion that could occur,

is if a background star is there, but normally thats not the case, and Titan is

readily identified.

Regards, Ed.

Edit : just seen post #3, Titan can appear to the left or right of Saturn,

according to what telescope you are using. If it was a starlike point of

light, it probably was Titan.

yes i agree with the comments, titan was the only saturn moon i could see last night. Everything you see through a scope is a reverse image so you need to keep that in mind. I previously had a 60x700 cheapy and that was the limit of viewing.

Adamski:icon_salut:

I will try and draw a very basic picture if i see it again (my pictures are like stickman drawings) but mabey that might help. Im hoping conditions are similar too last night too hopefully see the same thing.

This may sound stupid, but do you know how long it takes titan too orbit saturn? if i look at the same time tonight would titan be in the same place?.

do you know how long it takes titan too orbit saturn? if i look at the same time tonight would titan be in the same place?.

Titan orbits in just under 16 days, so it can show a definite

movement from one night to the next.

Regards, Ed.

Im just using a very simple 800-80 reflector telescope. Any idea what side that would put titan last night?.

If your scope is a Newtonian, then it will give a South up view,

with East to the right, West to the left, and North below Saturn.

and for the rest of April 2011, Titan will appear as follows :-

April 19,20,21,22,23,24,25, Titan will be to the West ( left ) of Saturn.

April 26, Titan will be to the North ( below ) Saturn.

April 27,28,29,30, Titan will be to the East ( right ) of Saturn.

Hope that info is correct, checked it several times :)

Best regards, Ed.

Awesome thanks for that info Ed! I think it might be titan i am seeing:D thats awesome! i saw it again tonight and i drew a very crude scetch..it had too be done with a biro as i forgot too get a pencil ready and had too do it very quick from memory.

Top picture is max magnification with the 6mm EP and 3x barlow-usualy this combination is completly unusable, but tonight it was just about usable, abit fuzzy but the largest views of saturn i have seen and that same point of light clearly visable. Really clear tonight i can see alot more stars than usual:)

Second picture is just with the 20mm, note the point of light at the bottom of the picture, this wasnt visable yesterday.

post-25886-13387756706_thumb.jpg

If your scope is a Newtonian, then it will give a South up view,

with East to the right, West to the left, and North below Saturn.

and for the rest of April 2011, Titan will appear as follows :-

April 19,20,21,22,23,24,25, Titan will be to the West ( left ) of Saturn.

April 26, Titan will be to the North ( below ) Saturn.

April 27,28,29,30, Titan will be to the East ( right ) of Saturn.

Hope that info is correct, checked it several times :)

Best regards, Ed.

How come Stellarium shows it to be on the right then?

How come Stellarium shows it to be on the right then?

By default Stellarium shows the naked eye view. You can switch it around to match the scope view but as has been said a refractor / SCT / mak-cass shows it differently from a newtonian.

I use the Sky & Telescope online Java applet to check where the moons are at any time. You can switch it to match different scope types really easily :):

Saturn's Moons Javascript Utility - Planets - SkyandTelescope.com

woohoo glad i got too see it!:) im not sure if iv just not noticed it before, or with my scope perfect conditions is needed..but am glad too have seen it:)

My scope has such a wobble with the 6mm and 3x barlow its so bad, u have too time it right and leave 30 seconds in front of your feild of view for wobble too subside..but when it timed right it was awesome seeing titan come into view followed by saturn:)

I don't know what scope you have but you should be able to see some of Saturns other moons as well. Rhea, Tethys and Dione are all within reach of a 4" scope - sometimes Iapetus as tool.

Its a Jessops TA800-80 bought for £36 pounds, fantastic i think for the money but i think its reached its limits? last night was the most clear night for a long time and the only time i can see titan really is when its super clear.

Me, my father, and now also my best friend are all saving up together too buy a big dob..probably in about a months/6 weeks time..Probably a new 10" or if we can find one second hand in really good condition a used 12". Really really cant wait for that! until then my jessops will have to do lol:)

Its absolutly amazing, i bought it thinking i might get some half decent views of the moon, but would never see saturn, to end up seeing saturn clearly and to see titan just blows me away really:)

If you can put up with the scopes bad points and to be fair there is quite a few, it will acctualy show a supprizing amount:)

Holy **** thats awesome!! what kind of magnification does 10x50 bins give you? do you need a tripod, are those expensive bins?

Im looking too buy a pair myself for star hopping and tracking satellites.

By default Stellarium shows the naked eye view. You can switch it around to match the scope view but as has been said a refractor / SCT / mak-cass shows it differently from a newtonian.

I use the Sky & Telescope online Java applet to check where the moons are at any time. You can switch it to match different scope types really easily :):

Saturn's Moons Javascript Utility - Planets - SkyandTelescope.com

Is there any way to copy this utility to my pen drive so i can take it home to use ??

Archived