Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beehive cluster or better

Hi all I was recently shown the beehive cluster by a friend with the same 15x70s as mine yet I can't find it myself to show the mrs! Can anyone please give me some advice in order to find it or some other equally or more impressive sights before the clouds come. Ive been 'scanning the sky' but patience is limited at times. Thank you

Richard

The Beehive or M44 is roughly half way between the back to front question mark of leo and the left head of Gemini. Aim between them and scan around a bit.

happy hunting

Found it thank you. Unfortunately the mrs has gone to bed but hopefully I will inspire her another time although I think I'm gonna need more than my bins lol.

I found it last night for the first time with my 15x70's. Even with bad LP I could still make it out. I could see a star called Hya (insde Hydra) with the naked eye. Then I searched around that point and it appeared! I think Pollux is also a good reference point.

Can't wait for Keilder on Thursday and Friday night. I just hope for clear sky's.

I found it last night for the first time with my 15x70's. Even with bad LP I could still make it out. I could see a star called Hya (insde Hydra) with the naked eye. Then I searched around that point and it appeared! I think Pollux is also a good reference point.

Can't wait for Keilder on Thursday and Friday night. I just hope for clear sky's.

Cool!

keilder? The observatory ?

You could try making a perfect triangle with procyon and pollux.

The beehive will be somewhere around the tip of the triangle near Leo.

The double cluster in perseus is nice if a little low now.

How about M35 at the foot of right person in gemini below castor.

You could try making a perfect triangle with procyon and pollux.

The beehive will be somewhere around the tip of the triangle near Leo.

The double cluster in perseus is nice if a little low now.

How about M35 at the foot of right person in gemini below castor.

I'll give it a go thanks.

I have to admit I do struggle to associate the view through my 15x70s with the naked eye as so many more stars 'appear' making it difficult to know where in the sky I'm looking in relation to what I see without the bins. I'm looking forward to getting a sunlounger so I can just scan around on a warm clear night :)

I'll give it a go thanks.

I have to admit I do struggle to associate the view through my 15x70s with the naked eye as so many more stars 'appear' making it difficult to know where in the sky I'm looking in relation to what I see without the bins. I'm looking forward to getting a sunlounger so I can just scan around on a warm clear night :)

The trouble with that though is like when I was scanning around with a 10" dob I found a faint galaxy (I think) it was a nice view and yet I will never know what it was!

I have to admit I do struggle to associate the view through my 15x70s with the naked eye as so many more stars 'appear' making it difficult to know where in the sky I'm looking in relation to what I see without the bins.

I know exactly what you mean.

Maybe try lower power bins first to get an idea of the area the object is in first and then move to the bigger pair.

Archived